Existing Member?

trust, love, and the unknown Ongoing with no expected outcome!

One more Pushkar Tale

USA | Sunday, 8 March 2009 | Views [595]

- of course, as always I have to add one more story from my last entry, Pushkar. One night when Gara and I were walking home, after a fantastic meal of fresh spinach ravioli (really!) the place next door to our lodge had the most unique sound of music coming out of its’ front door. I stopped in front of it; peaked in to see what was happening, and was invited in by the friendly warm-hearted Rajisthani residents. When I walked inside it was like a run down hotel, with a courtyard and empty rooms to each of my sides. The place was filled with people of all ages and the energy had a feel of a community or a small village functioning and living behind the walls on the street. You would have no idea that this world existed if it wasn’t for all the noise….it sounded like a celebration! Right at the door was an old bed that an elderly man sat on and in each room was people playing old instruments and singing. To the left was the room with the boys and men and to the right were the women. The men gestured me to sit down in the room and listen as they played old handmade string instruments and sang songs along with an organ/piano type wind instrument. The music was happy and soulful and sacred and the men just loved to smoosh together and sing with all their hearts while sitting on a stone cold dirt floor holding their boys in their laps. Behind me in the other room, perhaps the kitchen, all the women were sitting on the floor singing. When I turned to look one women walked over and gestured me to come in their room. She sat me in the middle of the circle and all the women sang to me with big smiles and bobbling heads. I felt like I was being initiated into the girls club or I was the goose in the goose pot. The songs were slow and sounded sad as the women sang them in a long drawn out whiney rattling voice. Their faces were mostly covered and they looked at me in awe as they poked at my clothes and skin and shared bright smiles and hearts. After A while I did what any tourist would do….I broke out the camera, did some video and took many picture requests. From that day on during my time in Pushkar I was friends with the neighbors, said hi to them in the streets, and bought water and such from their little shop nearby. In general music was a big part of Rajisthan. I always seem to run into it, sit and listen to it, and have the urge to do the pollka or something. These turban wearing folks love to celebrate and dance and play music….and have lots of wild and crazy wedding parades!!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.