Existing Member?

trust, love, and the unknown Ongoing with no expected outcome!

Ft. Kochi: Short and Sweet

USA | Tuesday, 27 January 2009 | Views [695]

Ft. Kochi is a simple place and goes along well with Kerala's laid back environment that is built around tourism . When I arrived here after a neasy going -figure out the train - experience I find a cute little room/homestay/guestlodge and made my way down to the fishing nets. These are ancient old nets that are from china and still use today. Once again I felt like i was in the past about 500 years or I've walked right into a national geographic episode.


Being on my own again made it real easy for me to quickly make friends with all the working people and locals. The fishermen, net men, market men, sales men, and the lovely ladies that run the homestay and sold ghlittery things. I spent the day going from net pier to net pier, having tea with the locals, help pull nets (hard work), look at all the crazy fish, wonder up and down what is left of the beach from the tsunamai, and hear all the Indians woes of how poor they are and how there are no fish and no tourists. I wondered a bit on my own and found my self in the middle of 300+ children at one point where they all were laughing and shkaing my hand and saying hello how are you. It was funny and a bit overwhelming at times.

The first evening ended with a cultural dance of a man painted in red mud and covered in rice dancing around with lit up palms on him screaming...quite bizarre.

My guest house had family visiting who had the most beautiful special little baby girl that was just surrounded by angels and bright light. I spent lots of time palying with ehr and holding her and watching India's version of Dancing with the starts with the ladies. I have to admit that I have not had much sleep for some reason but the room is perfect for a quiet shadey rooftop getaway or and early morning yog/meditation seesion and some roomade porridge.

My friend Ben who I know from Trekking is in Ft. Kochi and we caught up yesterday. Defintily the only other exciting thing here besides the fishing nets:) It was greta to catch up and share stories and watch another sunset together in a different country. The next day We wondered around, took a ferry to another island, found our way through the back alleys of villages, went to what lonely planet referred to as Kochi's best kept secret beach (it was lame) and had a bread - porata nad dosa and uttapam - and chutney filled lunch. It was A well earned meal after hours of walking, ferries, buses, and some more walking.

The afternoon I spent at a tea house and met some wonderful travelors including a 76 yearold women who was absolutley BEAUTIFUL.

Now I know it is time to move on as I wonder around in cirlces in this little not so indian spot....I kow because every here knows my name and there is nothing else to take a picture of.

Tomorrow I'm off to the Amma's Ashram.

:)

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.