Existing Member?

Tales from the Road

Trekking in Mt. Daraitan

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 1 April 2009 | Views [12986] | Comments [10]

Daranak Falls

Gracey invited me to join her and her outdoor club to trek Mt. Daraitan. After saying no to her invitations so many times, I finally said yes.

We took the 3-hour trip to the location by hopping on one of the Tanay, Rizal-bound jeepneys in Shaw Boulevard. We stopped to see the Daranak Falls at the foot of the Tanay mountains before proceeding. It's nice to see that the falls is still intact and it looked like it became one of the swimming destinations in the area - there are picnic huts, lifesavers, lifeguards and a lot of people.

Daranak Falls

Trekking

The trek took around almost 2 hours with the several stops for rest and photo shoots. We started around almost 2pm after we had lunch at the jump off point. We were supposed to cross a river so we were advised to wear short pants. When we got there though, there was an option to cross through the bridge but you have to pay PhP 2. I'd rather pay than get wet at the start of the trek.

Trekking and enjoying the view as well

Gracey tests the water

We took a trail along the river. Based on my researches though, there are other trails that lead to caves and peaks. I am glad the group took the river trail. It's a no-sweat trek for a novice like me. The trail is mostly ground level and some parts are already cemented. There were a few rocky trails and some even muddy but we managed. I slip and trip a lot but never once during this trip.

The path is rocky that horses seemed to have become the main transport

The route is so scenic that one really would not mind the minutes of walk. We would look back several times to admire how the elements are nicely composed: the trees, the mountains, the river, the light, rock formations. And not to mention, it was the best day for the trek (at least that's what I think).

A view of the river

View some more photos HERE.

Camping

We arrived at the rocky campsite a little past 4pm. It was beside the Tinipac River and surrounded by mountains. Until now, I stitll think the place is amazing.

The group pitched the camps while I went around to take photos. My hosts were very hospitable. They took care of everything I almost did not do anything. The group seem to have been doing this for a long time and they have complete equipment as well. Thanks guys!

When the sun was down, fireflies started showing up. Seeing fireflies is one of my favorite things. And to see them lighting up insync was an amazing experience.

Sleeping was a bit difficult because the ground was rocky, but that becomes the least of your concerns when you're tired. View camping photos HERE.

Tinipac River

Our campsite

The happy campers cooking dinner

Lorie with Andrew, one of the campers

View my world nomad Daraitan Album HERE.

Tags: camping, daraitan, rizal, tanay, tinipac, trekking

Comments

1

maam!!!! nice shot po ang gaganda po ng kuha nyo at ang ganda po ng lugar..
matagal n po naming pinaplano po maghike jan almost 2yr... n po naming cguro n panaplano...

maari puh bang huminge ng sketch jan plz.....
salamat po....

  louie Mar 21, 2010 1:34 AM

2

wow. salamat po sa review. papunta kase kame jan this coming weekend, and since basta lang ako napa-oo, i had absolutely no idea about the place.
haha, ngayon, meron na.
wish me luck! excited nako...

  page Apr 29, 2010 10:29 AM

3

sir/mam, tanong ko lang kung paano ang pag punta sa daraitan

  nina Jun 22, 2010 6:50 PM

4

one question lng po mam/sir kumuha po ba kayo ng guide? and how much?

  jason lomboy Mar 13, 2011 3:40 AM

5

May guide po ba? and may mga ibang kasama? Please let me know urgent. Thanks! =)

  Gel Mar 24, 2011 8:06 PM

6

Walang guide. Medyo straight forward yung trail kaya di kayo maliligaw. Good luck!

  loriejoy Mar 27, 2011 3:26 AM

7

actually taga d2 ako nd maganda tlaga place nmin jeje, , visit nyo n lng and see it 4 urself . . .

  Noe Apr 19, 2011 1:43 PM

8

may falls po b jan s daraitan?? lagi po kc kami jan every holy week. dun kami lagi s malapit s cave nag kacamp. hindi p kami nkkrading s sinasabi n my falls daw.

  isko Mar 27, 2012 9:30 PM

9

hindi ba delikado dyan! wala bang bad elements? :))

  darwin Jun 14, 2012 9:56 AM

10

Cool place whre i used to trek

  Ahmad Oct 14, 2013 5:45 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.