Existing Member?

Travel makes you closer the Creator and its Creations

Stranger in Galway

PAKISTAN | Monday, 14 April 2014 | Views [231] | Scholarship Entry

I was irritated to see that my favorite place at Corrib River is occupied by an old man in paint stricken clothes. The man was in his late 60's & was enjoying serenity of corrib with a beer can & sandwich. I, somehow was disappointed that my place was taken. His Irish blue eyes & wrinkled face compelled me to smile at him. But I realized my mistake as I heard his irritated tone."Hey girl, Don’t ask me for money” Embarrassingly I looked down at my attire which was perfect!
"Wait do you think i am a be…?"
"Look i have no money to give you & I am not going anywhere with you"
I looked at him in utter disbelief! He was judging my smile on such low standards. I was but somehow remained silent & walked past him. Something inside me stopped me right in the track. I turned back towards him. He looked uneasy; I stood before him & said:"Do I look like i need Money i am going to mug you" he started mumbling. Gathering courage I asked him if i can sit.""Yes! Okay! sit! But I can’t help you!"I ignored his accusations yet again, but i was determined to clear my position. I said"Relax i just want to talk"
He mumbled again "ok“I don’t know why i wanted to prove myself so desperately “I came from Pakistan to attend conference and i spend my evening here, Smiling at you doesn’t mean that i need something i am not a beggar or mugger."He looked embarrassed but still had trouble believing me.
"What you want to talk about?"I looked away but spoke somehow "For years, every evening i sit with my family & i talk about my day, but here at Galway, i have no one to listen to me, no friends, i am scared of the cultural differences & that they might not like me, as you reminded me of my father I smiled at you" His blue eyes filled with kindness knowing that i was travelling alone & homesick. Tears ran down my cheeks, I dried them with my sleeve. He shared then that he was painting their home with his wife so he came to relax here; his children are settled abroad. I but said nothing, and for few moments we both remained silent, staring at the graying Corrib River, as if understanding each other. We talked for hours that day, about Family, Friends, God, Nature, Travel, Experiences and what not. We laughed hard & we cried too. He told me not to trust strangers again, go out with people of my age, initiate conversations & be brave.It was a strange moment when we shook hands and He said."My name is john. Whats yours?"We both snickered & understood so many things without saying them out.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lonetraveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.