Existing Member?

Let's go Outside

Drums full of soul

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

“Many people that come here are empty,” were the first words I heard when I decided to break routine and join a djembe* drum circle session.

I work from Monday to Friday, at a 9-5pm internship that has afforded me the opportunity to learn a lot about life in the working world.

Don’t get me wrong, I am really grateful for the opportunity, except for one bit of detail that seems to be getting to me – I’m always in the office.

So, on this particular day, I decided, just once, to go outside.

Cape Town is a big, thriving city, with a long list of things to do. Bucket list heaven, some call it.

An item on my bucket list has always been to play the djembe drums at a Ghanaian owned African artifacts store, right in the heart of Cape Town.

This is exactly what I decided to do on my day out of office.

What I thought was going to be a simple lesson in playing the djembe drums, instead became one lifelong lesson on the essence of soul, rhythm, and how the art of playing the drums is directly linked to the willingness of the soul – a willingness to be open to something new.

“Clear your mind, don’t think about anything else. You and the drum are one,” said the instructor, who, by way, made djembe drum playing look so easy.

They don’t tell you how hitting a drum with your bare hands actually hurts quite a little.

They also don’t tell you, that the more you play, the softer your hands become and the more “at home” they feel with the base of the drum.

They also don’t tell you how much that deep, powerful sound of an African drum creates an outer body experience, that could have you travelling to places you didn't know existed.

“Those who are able to play the drums, are full inside, their souls are able to tell a story,” said the drum instructor.
Something about that line hit my core and made me think a lot about my need for wanting to be outside.

Travelling, seeing the world, or even the town or city you’re in, has little to do with the actual destination, but is rooted so much more in being able to tell a story with experiences.

It is how a place makes you feel, what memories it etches into your skin, that eventually tell the story you will carry with you for eternity.

-end-

*A djembe drum is a skin covered drum that is played with bare hands, originally from West Africa.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About little_everydays


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.