Existing Member?

Its all part of the adventure

Trekking with Goannas - Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 13 February 2012 | Views [1722]

Who knew that right in the middle of a large city like Sydney, there is a private haven where goannas roam and wallabies mingle. 

An hours drive from the CBD to Palm Beach, then a short ferry ride to Currawong, you have landed in Paradise, Sydney's answer to Heaven. We do this weekend trip at least once a year, and have only just returned from our friends and family weekend away. We started going to Currawong when our daughter was in kindergarten, with a group of families. Each year we have watched them grow from giggling six year olds to gorgeous young adults, and this weekend was no exception. The kids are now 21, all still close friends and all having adventures of their own. 

Arriving on Friday night after a stressful week of last minute million dollar proposals, as soon as we boarded the ferry, we left the stress on the wharf. The sun was setting over the bush as we arrived, and were welcomed by dear friends who had arrived earlier. The little fibro shacks have not changed over the years we've been going, and I hope they never do. Think one step down from a caravan, but one step up from a tent. Not luxurious by anyones standards! 

Saturday morning we gathered around a fire pit to cook our bush bacon and eggs, then wandered down to the secluded beach to bask and read, only to return back at lunch to indulge in some champagne. 

Currawong also offers a 6 hole golf range, a tennis court, volleyball, and a great wharf to jump off. If you are so inclined! I only wanted to relax, so spent my time with friends laughing, drinking, eating and reading, with a few sleeps in-between. 

Sydney has not had much of a summer this year, but the weekend didn't disappoint. With only one hour of angry clouds and rain, the rest of the weekend was sunshine! 

Goannas found us fascinating, as did the local wallabies. With only a week to go before my Komodo Island adventure, it was a good introduction to the dragon-lizard-monster like creatures. Suddenly finding dragons has become very unromantic. 

Before boarding our ferry home, we made another booking for same time next year and I cant wait!

Tags: beach, bushwalk, goanna, private, sydney

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.