Existing Member?

Bill's Big Trip "Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do, nothing to kill or die for. Imagine all the people living life in peace. Imagine all the people sharing all the world. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one." John Lennon

Istanbul to Johannesburg, South Africa

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 16 August 2014 | Views [271]

It was a long couple of days traveling from Istanbul to Johannesburg. This is the downside of using frequent flier miles, sometimes you don't take the most  direct route to your destination. I left Istanbul Wednesday morning and flew to Athens then Rome and then Paris. I spent the night at a hotel near the Paris airport, $120. US, I was crushed. The next morning I flew from Paris to Nairobi Kenya. A nice 7.5 hour flight on Kenya Airways new Boeing 787 dreamliner. No hotel at the Nairobi airport. I didn't have a good feeling about the cabdrivers that wanted to take me to a hotel, so I ended up sleeping at the airport. The only upside is I recouped some of my $120 from the previous night. It was about a 3 1/2 hour flight from Nairobi to Johannesburg. I was taking a nap at the Johannesburg Backpackers Ritz by 3 PM Friday afternoon. It was worth it........I made it to Africa. 

About lipowcan8

A quick recap. I visited 19 countries in 212 days, traveled 46,000 miles by air,15,000 miles by land and spent about $25,000. My feet got beat up a few times and I twisted my ankle a couple of times.  No plane, train, car, bus, tuk tuk or taxi mishaps, not even a fender bender. I wasn't threatened or harassed and amazingly enough I didn't lose anything. It's hard to believe seven months have passed. As I said in my first entry.....a wonderful way to celebrate 60 years of living. It sure was!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.