Existing Member?

Lil & Bren's Africa Adventure

Days 11 - 14

BOTSWANA | Wednesday, 2 January 2013 | Views [310]

Day 11 - Today we are up 05:00am to pack our belongings and travel to the Okavango Delta. We jump on an 8 seater jeep with our tents and bags and drive what we thought would be a 20 minute drive, which was actually 1.5 hours long. It was ok because we got to see more of the town of Maun and drive past some small villages. We eventually arrive at the swamps of the Okavango Delta and are met by the gorgeous locals. They straight away start unloading our stuff and packing the dug out canoes which they call Mokoro's. Mokoro's are similar to Gondolas and you have a person standing at the back of the canoe with a large pole directing you through the swamps. Our "director" was named Joyce and she would have been about 18. We were told to wear long sleeves and pants and thank god I did because the only parts of my body that was exposed - hands and ankles - got burnt to the shit house. It was painful for about 3 days after as well - I blame the malaria tablets for making my skin so sensitive to the sun grrrrrrr (and Mum don't worry I did lather the sunscreen on). Our Mokoro's eventually took off and we were directed right through the Delta (3 hours of canoeing) and it was so beautiful. I fell asleep for a bit and woke up to find no-one else around. I had a mini freak out thinking either Brendon has secretly organised to sneak us off somewhere so he could propose OR that we were being taken somewhere to be mugged. Thank god Joyce informed me that we would meet up with everyone else very shortly. 

About lillian_butler

Perth

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.