Existing Member?

Kiwi Goes Global

Small-town Germany: Süchterscheid with Nadja

GERMANY | Tuesday, 21 June 2011 | Views [728]

... luckily, Nadja and I found each other in the 6 minutes she had between getting of her train and onto the one we were taking to her place.  First time we'd seen each other in about 7.5 years, so it was amazing to catch up.  Given that we'd been writing to each other during this time, it was also fantastic to be able to meet her parents (well, again, as I did briefly in NZ), her sister and her boyfriend, as they'd been mentioned in the letters.

Got to hang out at her place in a wee town and enjoy the tranquility.  There were plenty of luxurious breakfasts with bread, cheese, various cheese spreads, yoghurt, juice, tea...  Yum.

Nadja and I also did a walk to Germany's smallest town.  I can't find the name, even asking Google.  I'll have to ask Nadja again.  It was really pretty, and had some of those white houses with the dark wooden frames, that I always thought of as very German.  ;P  We headed up the tower of the old castle to get a great view over the valley, back towards the village, and over a fishing lake.  We also got to watch a group of people, all wearing funny red elf-like hats, who were celebrating... something.  Who really knows.  But they were having a lot of fun.

Also did a walk with the dogs in the woods.  Reminded me of home, for some reason.  Maybe the natural area at Te Mata Peak, or the Redwoods in Rotorua.

We also tested our baking skills, making apple and chocolate muffins.  I did really enjoy doing some baking (ok, all I really did was grate the apple.  Nadja was the master baker and boss, especially since I couldn't understand the German recipe), since I couldn't in France.

We also listened to some cool music of her mum's.  Must ask her for the name of that artist.  I think she was Swedish...

Tags: germany, old friends, suechterscheid

About libby-k8

Moi, up Mont St Clair in Sète, with my wee Kiwi, Kingi.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.