Existing Member?

Kiwi Goes Global

Köln: Lethargy (3)

GERMANY | Friday, 17 June 2011 | Views [971]

On my final day, I decided that I just couldn’t leave without heading into the cathedral, especially since it was free.  So, I joined the tourist mob, and the guided groups, and ambled through this massive construction.  There were some pretty impressive stained-glass windows, I must say.

Was going to go up the towers, but I was in cheapskate mode and decided that I could do without that.  I think I read that they are about 100m high, though.  Amazing!

 

Sat in the cathedral square for a while, to soak up the atmosphere.  People are constantly meeting and greeting here: school groups, friends, families, tour groups, couples…  Plus the ‘human statues,’ white-faced Navy officers and Charlie Chaplin lookalikes are all vying for photos, and therefore the tourist dollar.

 

Next mission: lunch.  I did another huge wander, in which I went past an ancient city gate from, I believe, Roman times, and a huuuge square.  Eventually, I settled on what turned out to be a very tasty sandwich from one of those Merzenich bakeries which seem to be everywhere, at least in Cologne.  Mozzarella, tomato and basil.  J  Yum!   Quite Italian, really, now that I think about it.

 

By this stage, I somehow couldn’t be bothered doing anything more than sitting and watching the world go by.  So I sat in town for a bit.  Then, I changed my location to the Rhine.  Then I sat and stared at a computer screen in my internet café for a bit.

 

My stomach told me it was dinner time, so I went for a falafel kebab.  I took it back to the Rhine.  Some young girl with pretty good English befriended me.  She told me she was a bit drunk, and asked about New Zealand.

 

I collected my suitcase from the hostel, lugged it to the main station, and chilled there for a bit, before heading up to the platform to meet Nadja, and head for Siegburg station.  She only had about 6 minutes between 2 trains, so I was crossing my fingers that it'd work out...

Tags: cologne, rhine, train

About libby-k8

Moi, up Mont St Clair in Sète, with my wee Kiwi, Kingi.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.