Existing Member?

Gap Year-ing it Around the World

Flying Among the Stars

SOUTH AFRICA | Sunday, 4 November 2012 | Views [473] | Comments [1]

Leaving Israel last night was refreshing, exciting, a little nerve wracking, and dream-like. Ever since I attended an international interfaith program two years ago and met people from Cape Town, I knew I wanted to go. Hearing about the aesthetics, culture, and people from South Africa, I was enticed. Who would have thought two years ago when I was dreaming about coming, I'd be sitting in the airport in Johannesburg about to spend two months here? 

The flight from Tel Aviv to Addis Ababa was an overnight flight. Occasionally, when I looked out the window, I saw an unbelievable amount of glittering stars, as if they were winking at me, saying, "see what happens when you wish upon a star?" I had never flown among the stars before. And last night, it felt like they were my stars. Like everything was lined up exactly as it was always meant to be. 

The airport in Ethiopia was fascinating. I met a woman from Thailand and a women from Moldova. Everywhere around me was bright, colorful clothing with full patterns. Everyone seemed to have a slight smile in their face, as if everyone knew exactly how I was feeling. 

Flying into Joannesburg, South Africa, it seemed like every house around the airport had pools. Unlike Ethiopia, which looked like a giant checkerboard from the plane, with green and beige squares, villages thrown in between, and a few towering mountains scattered around, Johannesburg seemed filled with houses and trees and a lot of green.

I am heading to Cape Town in two hours and will begin my one month volunteer teaching project tomorrow with an orientation. I am unbelievably excited and ready for this experience. 

I don't know how often I'll have Internet access, but I'll write when I get the chance. Feel free to email or Facebook me and I'll respond whenever I can!

Much love. 

 

 

Tags: addis ababa, adventure, cape town, ethiopia, israel, johannesburg, journey, leaving, south africa, stars

Comments

1

The stars can also direct and guide you beside sparkle and make you happy. Use this time to ebe enlightened and aware that you are but a speck on this planet of teresterial beings. Jambo! happy day happy.

  nance Nov 7, 2012 8:25 AM

About lianarothman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.