Existing Member?

Yes, right now.

Ass-umptions

USA | Saturday, 16 May 2015 | Views [401]

Yesterday we headed up to our local AAA office to take care of vehicle registration before we take off.  The two other reasons we went there was to get a set of passport photos taken for each of us for any visa needs we might encounter, and to get our international driving permits in case we wanna do something crazy like hire a car and drive all over the African countryside.  The good news is we managed to register one of our two cars - that's it.  We didn't get the photos taken because they wanted $15 per set for AAA members!!! WTF is that about?  We didn't get the driving permits because we forgot.  Shit.  Now we have to make another run back up there.  Apparently Rite-Aid is doing passport photos for $7.99 with a coupon which is a sweet deal.

 

The going away dinner we had with our friends last night was delicious.  We had vegan mediterranean food plus vegan amazon cake with berry compote and coconut cream on top.  Anyway, while talking to my buddies they convinced me to take my DSLR because we'd be pissed if we only managed to capture breathtaking flora and fauna with an iPhone.

 

The days are filling up with things to do, but we're not getting any more time in which to attend to these pesky little details.  Today is a full day for sure.  Molly and I are still studying for finals, we have to get dog food, we need a few groceries and this all before the kids get out of school.  Once they're out of school we head to the Rocknasium for our Friday evening climb, then it's dinner, Chinese school until nine, and then pile into the car and head to Santa Cruz.  We are leaving our two dogs with Molly's family in Santa Cruz because they have space for the dogs to run around and there is almost always someone on the property, which is completely fenced.  Seems like the best place to let them hang out for two months.

 

We'll hang out in Santa Cruz in the morning and then head up to Oakland to eat dinner with my sister and her fiancé.  After that, we are going to our friends' Sara and Will's to hang out with them in honor of Sara graduating from her Master's program.  When we're supposed to do anything productive I have not yet figured out.  We still need to head back to REI too for more bug spray and other stuff that I can't seem to remember right now.  Sunday lunchtime we'll spend with my folks because my mom is taking off for S.D. on Monday, so this is the last time we'll get to see her before we split.

 

Pretty full on, I'd say.  We still haven't done a practice bag packing run either.  Floating in the air around us is this naive assumption that it will all come together without issue as soon as it's required to.  Maybe this is true, hopefully this is true.  Peace.

Tags: africa, books, family, kids, malaria, packing, wwoof

About less_is_more


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.