Existing Member?

Lesley and Jan in Palau

On the road

PALAU | Wednesday, 27 August 2014 | Views [294]

The Bat Mobile

The Bat Mobile

So we both passed our driving tests!  it was only a written test (nothing can prepare you for the actual driving!); but it was not too easy.  You have multiple choice questions and have to get about 90%.  So before sitting it we had to read the white book.  This book is full of important things like you must not take someone else's car, you cannot drive if you are of feeble mind, and so on.  It also has the penalties and terms of imprisonment if you fail to follow rules.  My favourite is $25 fine if you have no muffler.  And an important one to remember is that the President has to give permission for any vehicle with metal tyres to drive on the road.

Driving in Palau is actually quite civilised; if random.  Mostly people amble along calmly, merge and are courteous.  However, they do crash... a lot.  Some control measures are in force such as a policeman with an extraordinarily loud whistle.  But pure gold is the fact they did install one set of traffice lights.  However, they did not come with sufficient instructions.  So when told to stop if you saw a red light - everyone did; not jsut those people at the junction!  Drivers a kilometre away who could see the red light also stopped where they were!  Rather than educate people they took the lights away.  Perhaps we can try a roundabout next.

To get around we acquired the batmobile which is becoming well known around town.  I named it after the local fruit bats.  Only 3 cylinders but it is coping with the hills; and there is not a long way to go.  Note how Jan really looks like Postman Pat in it.  And rego is only about $50; plus you have to pay $1 for the screws to attach the numberplate.

The roads themselves are mainly excellent - fully bitumised and well maintained.  In the photo I am standing on part of the Compact Road which was paid for by the US government as part of their funding of Palau.  Sometimes it even has a few cars!

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Palau

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.