Existing Member?

Leah Living Abroad

At the Edge of the Precipice

USA | Friday, 12 February 2016 | Views [457] | Comments [1]

The day has finally arrived. 

It's crazy how quickly the last couple of months have passed.  It was incredibly difficult leaving Atlanta after 6+ years, but having the opportunity to spend time in Columbus before my departure is an experience that will travel with me today.  I got to spend more time with my awesome nephew in the last two months than I have since he was born, and the hug and kiss he allowed me the last time I saw him showed me just how much that time meant.  I got to spend more time with my Ohio friends than I have in years, proving to me just how much I missed them, and I got to meet some new people that I look forward to having in my life and getting to know more.

The last week I've been in New York staying with my friends Rachel and Andie on Long Island--they have been wonderful enough to open their home to me before I fly.  Most of this week has been spent prepping for departure, but also enjoying some much needed down time (Netflix and chill, anyone?)...  I spent a solid 5 hours exploring the Met in NYC on Wednesday, which was really interesting--I love museums!  Afterwards, I had delicious sushi with some friends--I met Steph and Jack on my study abroad in Wales in 2007, and it's hard to believe (in a good way) that we have kept in touch for almost a decade.  I look forward to seeing where we will all be and what we'll do over the next decade!

The first week of my trip will be spent exploring Oslo and Stockholm--I am very much looking forward to spending time in Scandinavia during the winter (thanks again for the winter coat, mom), which sounds kind of crazy, but every season gives every city a different character.  Keep an eye out for details on those adventures later.  On the 19th, I'll head to Prague and start my TEFL course.  I finished the precourse assignment this week, and I have to say that the English language can be a pain!  As my native tongue, I understand sentence structure and the different tenses and when to use them, but actually articulating the WHY and HOW is a learning experience for me.  More on that in the next couple weeks, I'm sure! 

Okay, let's get real for a minute:  I'm terrified.  In 10 hours I will be getting on a plane and not coming back to my home country for possibly 10 months.  That's scary.  But in a good way.  I've learned that it's OK to be scared.  Fear offers a remarkable opportunity for growth and learning.  Sure, I've made mistakes in letting my fear (of success, of failure, etc.) control me, but I've made more of a commitment this year to not letting fear overwhelm me.  One of my friends, Kris, came up with this idea of 16 goals for 2016 in our friend group.  Two of my goals fall into this fear category:  1, quieting my mind and 2, saying yes more.  For those of you that know me, you know that my brain is constantly going, and you know what?  It's exhausting.  And really not all that healthy for me.  So how to quiet it?  Well, my former boss and Leah-appointed life-coach, Jan, gave me a very small tool that I've started with:  just say "stop it."  And I have been.  As soon as I consciously recognize that my mind is spinning out of control or wandering down a negative, imaginary alley, I say (out loud, usually), "stop it."  I can't say that it is a fool-proof tool, but it's helping.  And it's making me more aware of what my mind is saying and how that is affecting my well-being.  As to saying yes more--well, I've let my fear control my actions in the past and I've probably missed out on a lot of great opportunities.  So I'm trying to say yes more.  One of my best friends, Johnny, has been a huge cheerleader on this point, constantly encouraging me to say yes to new experiences, even if I may be a little wary.  And you know what?  I've had an amazing time.  So even though I'm terrified about this journey, I am ridiculously excited about all that it holds in store.


I need to take a moment to thank you.  All of you.  This journey would not be possible without your love, encouraging words and support (both emotionally and financially).  Sometimes I am blown away by just how lucky I am to be blessed with such an incredible support system.  Mom and Dad--I couldn't ask for better parents.  You have guided me with patience (a task that I know has not always been easy), allowing me to become my own person without losing sight of what truly matters in life:  compassion, understanding, patience, family.  Thank you Johnny, Bri and Jenna for driving me out to NY last weekend--I cherish our friendship and the times we spend laughing and challenging each other.  

To the rest of my friends and family:  thank you for taking the time to come see me, to attend one of the farewell parties, to treat me to dinner or lunch or coffee.  Thank you for being there in whatever capacity you were able--it means the world to me and I really cannot express my gratitude enough.  Know that you have a place to stay if you end up in the Czech Republic this year! 

One last thing:  people keep asking me what I'll miss most while I'm gone.  Truth is...     you.

 

Comments

1

Love you Leah, having you in Cbus the past few months has been a real treat. I'm proud of you for saying yes to this huge experience and cannot wait to come visit.

  Johnny Feb 13, 2016 7:47 AM

About leelee1586

Utah, USA, 2015

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.