Existing Member?

Leah Down Under

no easter bunnies in augusta

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 22 April 2009 | Views [1081]

We traipsed down to the southwest tip of Australia on our long Easter weekend (that's right, Easter is a lovely four-day weekend here). Augusta is a cute small town that sits in a great spot near Cape Leeuwin where the Blackwood River turns into Flinders Bay, which then runs into the Southern Ocean. The house we stayed in was right on the water and could not have had a more perfect location. The wind was rockin' for Seb and his kite-surfing buddies, and I had days full of wine tours and relaxing by the water. While I did not receive a visit from the Easter bunny this year, I did find myself in a couple of interesting situations. First, some serious cave exploring. Giants Cave is not your average tourist attraction. There is no guide. There are no lights. You're given a helmet and a flashlight and sent on your way to climb through tiny tunnels and navigate the utter darkness. Second, more crabbing. This time I stayed in the boat and we managed to catch one. He was the appetizer.

Photos in the "augusta" gallery.

we are such adventurers...

we are such adventurers...

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.