Existing Member?

Here, Loving Each Other and Fearless Join me as I dig my toes in deep into this big, beautiful world.

Fraser Island: dunes, dingoes, and da beach

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 24 July 2008 | Views [973]

If you’re looking for an all-in-one nature paradise get-away, Fraser Island is it. The biggest sand island in the world (with more sand than the Sahara desert!), Fraser has over fifty miles of straight, postcard-perfect beaches; extensive sand dunes; lush rainforests; the purest lakes in the world; and, of course, dingoes – and if you time it right, you feel like you have it all to yourself. For three nights, my party of four (Patrick, me, Pat’s sister and his two friends) camped out right behind the dunes and watched the breath-taking sun and moon rises every day. (Especially impressive since it was a full moon.) We drove to the trail heads down the beach in 4WD landcruisers, dodging the rising tide and small flocks of birds. Although it was my second time on the island, it was still as remarkable – if not more so – this time around. Oh, and I learned to drive manual! In a 4WD on one of the most remarkable beaches in the world!

Tags: fraser island

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.