Existing Member?

Here, Loving Each Other and Fearless Join me as I dig my toes in deep into this big, beautiful world.

Day-to-Day Being Here

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 10 July 2008 | Views [633]

(written at the start of the road trip...)

For the last three days, our schedule has been such (an itinerary with commentary): 

1) Drive drive drive… along Highway 1: Princes Hwy through national forest, teeny country towns, large expanses of flat pastureland encompassed by a horseshoe of distant mountains, and the occasional peek at the ocean.  To be honest, for a long while it looks all the same: the boxy buildings of “city” centres, the four restaurants, the cows, the road… but something still keeps me staring out the window for almost every second.  I think it’s the trees; I cannot get over the trees:

  • gum (eucalyptus) trees, all kinds – the thin white ones, the amazing tall brown and white-blotched thick ones, the ones whose bark is sliding off of them as if the trunk is bursting from its shell…);
  • Norfolk pines, whose thick needles are shaped to form a beautiful crest on each of its branches;
  • Paper bark trees, whose bark you can peel off in big, soft, thin (but squishy) sheets;
  • And I was blown away by this tree I discovered on a walk in the Croajingalong National Park: it was a huge, red monster of trees, out of whose bark I could literally rip handful-size chunks.  The pieces were soft, like a sponge.

And as you tacked miles (excuse me, kilometers) onto your trip, the forest would change with you – and so dramatically!  Most noticeably, Patrick and I took a detour to an inlet in the Croajingalong National Park along the coast of Victoria.  During our 30+-minute drive on a dirt/gravel road, we were constantly surrounded by forest (it reminded me of driving into the NJ Pinelands).  Every ten or so km’s closer to the beach, the forest would completely change; it was remarkable to have such a clear natural checkpoints of our progression to the shore.  And the smell!  Eucalypt forests smell so strangely sweet… kind of like muddy honey.  Odd, but also oddly accurate. 

2) Take a break at a small town… hey, you know how U.S. maps highlight the major towns and cities of an area?  Well looking at an Australian map, you’d think that that’s what they’re doing, but in fact they’re noting EVERY town and city you’ll hit along the way.  And more are quite unimpressive – a strip or corner of small shops, some sub-par restaurants, a pub or two… plus the architecture is nothing to look at.  Boxy, boring, and, in my opinion, rather ugly.

3) more driving, with perhaps a stop or two to take a small hike, snap a few photos, get a bite, or take a good stretch 

5) Arrive at our destination for the night… which was determined on the road. (Patrick: “I reckon we’ll make it to Merimbula before nightfall.  Should we find a place there?” Me: “Sounds like a plan.”) And for the last two nights, “a place” has meant a holiday or RV park, where we park for the night, rearrange the car, and then sleep on the beds we made out of mattress pads and blankets in the back.  It’s not a bad sleep, actually, though my shoulders get tired and I wake up several times during the night. 

6) Go out for dinner 

7) Sleep!  …and we’re out usually by 9:30pm.

8) Wake up!  Around dawn, find a good view to eat homemade brekkies (breakfast), and we’re off!

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, yes I AM driving!  Despite any doubts you may have on my coordination abilities down under, I am doing just fine remembering what side of the road you drive on down here.  (And in case I do forget, which hasn’t happened yet, Patrick’s always there to yell at me frantically.)  The only real bit of trouble I have is consistently hitting the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal!  As they are on opposite sides to what I’m used to, Patrick occasionally has to reach over and turn off the wipers when I try to signal that I want to make a turn.  Oh Australia. 

And Patrick and I are getting along famously.  Amazingly enough, we’re not sick of each other yet!  He’s impressively tolerant of my dietary restrictions, tendencies toward karaoke in the car, and desire to take photos of practically every sign along the highway.

Wednesday night to Friday day: Sydney

Then more traveling up the coast, hitting Newcastle, Byron Bay, the Sunshine Coast and Fraser Island. 

Until next time!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.