Existing Member?

Goodbye New Jersey. Hello World! A record of my journey as I give up my job, my possessions, and life as I know it to go off and see the world!

The 10 Backpacking Commandments

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [3714] | Comments [1]

Dear Fellow Backpackers and Travelling Nomads:  Follow these commandments for hostel living and you will be respected and loved by all whose paths you cross!

Thou Shalt Not:  

(1) Steal (this includes food!)

(2) Turn on the main light inthe  room if coming back at a late hour and others are sleeping.

(3) Have an abundance of plastic bags that will be searched through during the wee hours of the night/morning.

(4) Use the toilet/shower excessively long if only a few are available.  

(5) Spend the entire length of stay glued to a laptop/tablet.

(6) Spread out possessions everywhere in room.

(7) Sit on or use a bed that is not your own.

(8) Bring back a guest to conduct sexual acts with while others are in the room.

(9) Slam the door when leaving.

(10) Conduct yourself in a manner that makes others feel uncomfortable sharing a room with you.

 

Thou Shall:  


(1) Speak in hushed voices to friends if others are sleeping.

(2) Be open to different cultures and walks of life of other backpackers.

(3) Be flexible.

(4) Be friendly to those travelling alone and look like they could use some company.

(5) Help out a fellow backpacker in need, when possible.

(6) Clean up when finished in the kitchen and respect that others need to use it too.

(7) Use complimentary services, such as free breakfast and wifi in a respectful manner and not take advantage just to save a few bucks.

(8) Keep up with basic hygenic standards and wash daily!  This includes doing laundry in a timely manner.  

(9) Pay your hostel balance in a timely manner. 

(10) Do your best to get sick in the bathroom if drunk, and not in your dorm room.

 

Tags: backpacking, hostels

Comments

1

Funny :)

  Lib Jan 30, 2016 8:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.