Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

600 Euros and Another Night of Opulence

THAILAND | Thursday, 2 August 2007 | Views [900]

We arrive two hours before our FinnAir flight to check in at the Bangkok Airport and are asked if we wish to put our names on a list to give up our seats - the flight to Helsinki is overbooked and they need volunteers to take the next flight out tomorrow.  That would give us only two nights in Helsinki.  They are offering either 600 Euros per person, in duty free/airline ticket vouchers, or 300 Euros per person in cash, plus an additional nights stay in the Novotel, along with the three fabulous meals.  Hmmm... that's $900 USD in our pockets if we take the cash.  We quietly confer between ourselves, and decide reducing Helsinki time by one night is worth the cash in hand, which would find a months travel for us in Latin America, or at least take a bit of the bite out of the cost of our few weeks in Europe.  So we're game... after securing FinnAir's agreement to provide us with 12 hours of internet access in the hotel room.  Back we go to our luxury hotel.  It was just what we needed to get our new pictures and blog uploaded.  This is the second time we've benefitted from putting our name on a list for overbooked flights.  The first time we were not selected, but were given $100 in duty free shopping coupons, which we used to buy some mini-speakers for our iPod.  So now we have the ability to play good tunes everywhere we go.  This time, however, is a real score and the Euros are a huge windfall for us, on our budget.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.