Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Hotel Receptionist Cum Personal Groomer

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 25 July 2007 | Views [1828]

The Asian fascination with our hairy western bodies continues to amuse us.  It's not just here in Vietnam, we've experienced it Laos on the local boat, the man rubbing Darrin's hairy leg, then exposing his smooth sleek leg to draw the comparison.

Children are fascinated as are curious adults.  women always reach out to stroke my curly hair, and men and children reach to touch Darrin's beard, arms and legs.  The barbers at the street shops salivate when Darrin walks by... how lucky they would be to get him as a customer, carve up designs in his facial hair and cut him a mullet.

Today, however, tops it all.  Darrin was down talking with the receptionist about renting a motor bike.  Out of nowhere, the receptionist (male) leans across the desk and plucks a nose hair from Darrin's nose.  Darrin, shocked and not quite sure what's just happened, looks at the guy and says, "What was that all about... anything else I need to clean up?"  The receptionist, unfazed, replied, "You had a beard growing out of your nose!"  I could only imagine how the receptionist would have responded if someone reached out over the counter to pluck the long "lucky hair" growing out of the mole on the side of his face!

Later we realized this is common practice, as we've observed other men cleaning up their male friends nose hair, and other facial hair... in addition to ear wax, on the street.  We've even seen the serious street personal groomers on the street sides with a dentist chair on the sidewalk, customer lying back... the personal groomer wears a massive head lamp, sitting over the customer, going to town on his face.  Quite a "usual" scene here on the streets.

Tags: Laughter

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.