Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Did Our Bus Driver Just Beat Up That Biker?

VIETNAM | Sunday, 22 July 2007 | Views [1294]

We hop aboard our An Phu (pronounced by us as An "POO" for their quality of service and bus) to Hoi An.  It's a 12 hour overnight bus, and is supposed to be a nice, big, A/C coach with reclining seats.  What picks us up, instead, is similar to an old "school bus," with air blowing out of old crusty vents, but certainly not air conditioned.  It's going to be a long night.  Only silver lining, we're on the same bus with Jet and Jafar, so at least we can all share the misery together.  We continue to pick up every local needing a ride, and the driver finally busts out the plastic stools... ugh!  The bus aisle fills with locals carrying stinky bags with fish water that floods the floor under our seat and soaks our bags with an awful smell that will take months to wear away.  We're about an hour out of town, and we learn that our driver is a mad-man.  He drives really fast, blowing by motorbikes, blowing the horn, nearly hitting them, and causing others to swerve off the road.  He tries to take on bigger, faster busses, just as he gets into the opposite stream of traffic late to pass, big trucks and busses come head on while he plays chicken with them, finally slamming on the breaks at the last minute when he realizes he, himself, will die if he pushes on.

At one point he comes to a screeching halt.  He, along with his side-kick driver get out of the bus, run over to the motor bike guy he's just run off the road, and assaults the guy with his fists.  Yes, this is our bus driver, who we've entrusted to drive us 12 hours overnight, who has a bit of an anger management and road rage problem.  The rest of the trip we ride in silence, awake in the dark, jolted by starts and stops of the "An Phu Mad-Man."   We have come to really appreciate road rules and safety restrictions and enforcement in the US.  We finally make it to Hoi An.  They let us out at their An Phu hotel, their agents all happy and anxious to book us into a room.  We give them glares and strap on our packs to find a more reputable establishment... we can't seem to get away fast enough from the bus, the driver, and all that is An Phu.

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.