Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Electricity Shortages & Door to Door Lightbulbs

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 19 January 2008 | Views [1926]

We've had the pleasure of learning about politics, policy and the state of the Union from friends and other local residents that we meet here in Buenos Aires.  The jury's still out on Argentina's new female President, Christina Fernandez de Kirchmer, as she was just recently elected, and taking over office from her husband from last term.  However, there seems to be a sense of optimism around her, with many hoping she'll move forward labor rights and working conditions. A couple of lawyers we met in Patagonia hope that the new government will help bring along the masses of people that have been 'left behind' since the economic crisis and devaluation of the peso.  Increasing employment rates and working conditions they believe will drive down crime rates and better the livelihoods of the masses of people looking to contribute and partake in the growing economy.  While we are in Buenos Aires there are electricity shortages and blackouts occurring, similar to the rolling blackouts we've dealt with in Southern California.  At our apartment, we're not even allowed to use the water or dryer (which we were so looking forward to being able to wash our clothes properly) because the government has restricted electricity use.  Apparently the city has a better idea on how to solve the electricity shortage... they are going door to door handing out two new energy saver light bulbs, in exchange for old inefficient ones.  I'm sure that will get them to the root of the energy crisis!  So while the government is peddling light bulbs door to door and crunching usage of washers and dryers, we're undoubtedly wasting valuable water resources doing laundry piece by piece in our tiny kitchen sink.  Hope there's not a drought anytime soon!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.