Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Secret Surf Spot Unveiled

ECUADOR | Monday, 12 November 2007 | Views [1373]

To my dear surfer friends who have been religiously following our blog, we have a special gift for you. Punta Ayampe here in Ecuador is like Costa Rica 16 years ago. We have the whole beach break to ourselves, not just one peak, but kilometers of pristine coastline, and there's no one out this morning except for this Swiss guy Marco whose also staying at Finca Ayampe with us. The waves are 3-4 feet, and the water temp is just around 80 degrees, and the air is about 75 degrees, all at 7:00 a.m. I've rented a 6'4" from the owner, Aldo, who is currently on holiday in Brazil. The beach is not necessarily one you would take a wife or girlfriend to lounge on. It's great for a long run, but the sand is dirty brown, black and a bit of rocks on the shore. To the south there are jagged black lava rocks jutting out of the sea and tropical dense jungle that rises above steeply and to the north, a long stretch of sandy beach break. This time of year a big marine layer hangs over the sea, keeping the air a bit cooler. The currents from "el niño - the current, not the weather pattern" that occurs regularly each year keep the water warm, and heating it up slightly for the prime surf season that starts here in December and runs through May. We're staying at a cool, locally owned eco-lodge called Finca Punta Ayampe. There's a very rustic lodge with huge deck and stunning, unobstructed views of the surf. The lounge room has a TV, comfy couches, chairs, hammocks to hang around in, fireplace and a killer view through the all glass window walls. The rooms up stairs have private bathrooms and deck with ocean views, and there are three private cabins where you can sleep up to six people, all perched high up in the cliffs for spectacular views of the surf and sounds of pounding waves to fall asleep to. The food is amazing. While not super cheap, the quantity and quality we get is astounding. For $3.50, we get a huge breakfast, huge bowl of home grown, freshly cut pineapple, banana, papaya, watermelon and other seasonal fruit. There are eggs prepared as you like, we get them scrambled with cheese, tomato, onion and fresh homemade bread with preserves. The best is the tall glass of freshly squeezed fruit juice and huge mug of "real coffee." And if the surfs not up, although we understand there's rarely a day when it's completely flat, then you can rent kayaks, venture off into the National Park, or take a boat ride out to hike and dive around Isla de la Plata. This is a great spot for a surf holiday adventure we're you're assured of lots of waves practically to yourself. Don't forget to bring the DEET mozzie repellant, and you'll be having a great surfing holiday!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.