Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Parasites & The Porcelain God: Time to Leave Xela

GUATEMALA | Wednesday, 26 September 2007 | Views [1167]

A rough night it was... the soup we ate for lunch must not have been boiled long enough to be free from bacteria and parasites.  I haven't been this sick, even in India.  At first I thought it might have been all the spinning in tonight's salsa lesson, but it's not just me.  Darrin's been in bed all day.  Our house mom thinks it's amoebas.  She probably says this because she's had other students come down with amoebas from her cooking in the past.  She does try hard to help Darrin out, by sending in trays of more soup and tea for Darrin to eat, but both of us are "finished" with food from this place.  What would really help is if she'd provide us with some purified drinking water, and at this point, Darrin and I are both too ill to make it outside to buy any more water -  we're completely dehydrated.  Spending all last night in the nasty bathroom has helped us come to the decision that we'll leave Xela this weekend.  I'm able to secure spots for us in the new school - La Union in Antigua, and with the home stay of our choice.  So we'll stick it out here until Sunday, until we can catch the bus to Antigua.

Tags: Misadventures

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.