Existing Member?

Write Love Travel Repeat

Flashy motorcycles, skyscrapers and mcDonald's

USA | Sunday, 20 April 2014 | Views [170] | Scholarship Entry

Feels like it was yesterday. Walking through big avenues, running into strangers and looking surprised at everything around me. Everything was new. Everything was big. I felt like I was in one of the Bruce Willis action-movies when I first landed in in Miami. People everywhere, officers driving flashy motorcycles, huge fire trucks blaring their sirens, buildings that almost reached the sky, endless palm trees, a big bright sun and a dense, humid atmosphere. I took a deep breath and told to myself, “Laura, no one said it was going to be easy.” I felt small and lost in a middle of an organized chaos.Far from home, far from my family and friends in Barcelona.
Feeling the heat burning my skin and the strong smell from the french fries of the McDonald’s across the street, I realized that I was alone, excited but scared. Welcome to the land of the opportunities. The days were long and hard. Lots of days waiting at the bus stop under a sweltering sun. Lots of rainy days with no umbrella. Moments of frustration and confusion. Days were I had to walk home because I did not know I was suppose to pay two dollars for the bus. Days in which a cheeseburger was all I could afford for the day.
However, I tried to survive in my new ecosystem, the American jungle.I missed home. I cried. I wanted to look back but instead, I stepped forward. I opened my eyes and strengthened my heart. I accepted that life brought me to a new country for a reason and therefore I decided to learn from the adventure. I became a traveler. I became a citizen of the world. I learned English as fast as I could. I learned to respect other beliefs and learn from other cultures. Looking back, I see Miami with new eyes. Miami is a beautiful vibrant multicultural city, known for its diversity, rhythm, flavors and flow. I became part of the scene. I became the main character of my story in a new city. I learned to not be afraid to ask, to listen and observe. I am grateful to be able to call this world my home. My dream is to keep traveling to every corner of this world. I want to be able to give voice to all these beautiful cities, unknown towns and incredible people I will meet along the way. I want to be able to touch others people’s lives, as well as share my experiences through my travel and stories.
If money wasn’t a hinderance, I would: Write-Love-Travel. Life is about unexpected surprises,life is a great adventure.I'm ready for my new adventure.I would love to be a nomad for the rest of my life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lauradocon

Ready for the next adventure

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.