Existing Member?

bird legs getting bigger

Halong Bay, Vietnam

VIETNAM | Friday, 17 April 2009 | Views [1051] | Comments [3]

Look up Halong Bay in google images right now, do it ... click here

This is where I have just spent my last 2 days. This again is one of those experiences words and photos fall short of describing. I will post photos to explain the sights and will use this entry to explain the other parts of the trip that helped wrap this wonderful experience up.

From Hanoi you can walk into *any* guesthouse or travel agency and book a trip to Halong Bay - and this makes it very difficult to decide what package to go with! Packages range from $25 - $250 for the average tourist - but I'm sure there are many people who pay much more. Many of the trips offered are 2-3 days trips where you stay overnight on a 'Junk' - a Chinese sailing vessel. - We've heard horror stories of some of the Junk when you go for the $25 price range so we decided to treat ourselves a bit more...

We ended up getting a great deal from a travel agent friend Jessica made when she was in Vietnam last year. He offered a $80 two days one night trip to us for $65 each.

Day one:
We took a small air con mini-bus for 3 hours to Halong Bay. As soon as we got to the Bay that old familiar 'home feeling' came to me as I saw and smelled the ocean. (It's been about 2 months since I've seen the sea!!!) But this Harbour was like nothing I've ever seen before! Look up 'Chinese Junk' - The harbour was filled with these beautiful majestic boats! We took a small boat to our Junk. On the way I observed all of the other Junk - All of them generally look the same - but this is where you can see what money will buy you - The old Junk made me shiver - not only did it look haunted but you could just *see* what kind of creepy creatures might also be aboard those old dirty boats. And the nice boats? They were niiiiice. And oh, lucky us, our small boat drove right up to one of the nicest boats on the sea, and it was ours! The whole boat was construced of beautiful dark glossy wood, with carvings of dragons and asian symbols. They lead us to the dining area and our mouths all dropped. The 5 of us were the youngest on the ship, everyone else was more 'mature' and were used to being able to afford this kind of thing. For Dave and I, this was by far the most posh thing we've done on this trip. The dining area was immaculate. Like any other classy luxurious eating area.

We were given the keys to our rooms and told to return in half an hour for lunch. Again, my mouth dropped at our room. All of the rooms were beautiful but dave and I were lucky and got a corner suite - so, two large windows looking directly out onto the sea - seeerrriously, I live for these kind of things. Also, our bathroom, on a freaking boat, was also the nicest bathroom we've had so far in Southeast Asia. Eheh. I was sooo happy! The rooms were small, but they were super clean, made of that nice dark wood, large beds, and beautiful bedding and decore and a world class view from the window!

We returned to the dinning area for lunch and were so impressed with the menu - When I get the chance I will post photos of some of the dishes. They cooked according to all of our requests: three people eat no mean, but fish and seafood are ok, one person eats no meat, no fish and no eggs, and one person will eat anything. They Cooked all veg dishes for Dave, pescetarian dishes for Sean, Jess and I, and meat dishes for Johan. That was incredible for us - lots of the time when we give that request we end up just getting really bland dishes and Dave's requests for no egg or fish are usually ignored.

To save time, I will just write parts of the (set) lunch menu me, Sean and Jessica enjoyed... A delicious, thick, sweat and sour soup, large fresh prawns, a cooked veggie and squid dish, and my favorite, a grilled marinated fresh tuna dish - along with the usual steamed rice and veggies.

After lunch we took the Mini boat to a cave called "The Amazing Cave", and as cheesy as it sounds, the cave WAS amazing. When I was inside I felt like it was arificial and I was in Disneyland. It was GIGANTIC, and all of the beautiful rock forms were highlighted with soft coloured lights, it was incredible and I will let my photos to the rest of the talking for it.

After the cave we kayacked for about an hour taking in the scenery, which again the photos will obviously give a better idea of. By the time we got back to the the Junk the sun was going down and we were served  watermelon slices to enjoy the view with. We relaxed for a bit and then went for dinner. Dinner, again, made the whole trip worth the extra money! We were again served large delicious prawns, clams, crab cakes (my favorite!!!) and an assortment of veggies and rice. (By the way, Dave was also enjoying his meal, they made him really good tofu dishes and noodles and fake meat meals and Johan got beef and chicken dishes.)

After dinner the whole boat did karaoke, including me! It was a ball and Jess, Sean and I split 3 bottles of wine! The party ended when Sean broke a wine glass (haha that was too much for this posh ship)!  After that we were sent to bed - And a good thing, as we were to meet at 7:30am for breakfee. The sleep on this boat was one of the best I've ever had. I slept like a rock in this beautiful big clean bed, with the smell  and movement of the sea keeping me happy.

Day Two:
I woke up to a view of the blue see with large, rocky islands jutting out of it... sigh... We ate breakfast in the morning and after we actually just relaxed and enjoyed the scenery lazing about on the upper deck for a few hours. The boat cruised the ocean and around all the amazing land formations. The only break from relaxation we had was another delicious mainly seafood lunch. The we did even more relaxing. At about 12:00 we made our way back to the harbour and our fantastic voyage was over... =(.

I say this about most things I've done here, but I want to do this again with my family soooo bad.  Mum, Dad, Miranda, Lets save all of our monies up again, and do a family vacation to Vietnam. It is incredible here. It is WORTH coming here. I've seen lots of families in this country and my heart just sings thinking about what a great family experience this would be. There's nothing I want more than to Cruise Halong Bay with my mother, and then go drink cheap, delicious local beer on the crazy streets of Hanoi with my Dad and sister.

I'm having the time of my life =)  Wish you were here...

Will write another entry soon of fun observations and experiences I'm having here in Vietnam.

Comments

1

Sounds awesome Landon. It was weird to read "junk" in the journal because of Its meaning over here! haha, if people didnt know you would sound like a brat! xox

"We took a small boat to our Junk. On the way I observed all of the other Junk - All of them generally look the same " haha!!

  miranda Apr 18, 2009 8:19 AM

2

Hi Landon,
Great blog, once again. Lots of information!
What a beautiful area you are in...I can't wait to see the pictures. Glad you are having such a good time.
Enjoy the time you have left. I know it's going fast now. We've looked up Halong Bay in Viet Nam and it's absolutely stunning. We've even looked at the Junk accomodations and wow!! I can see why you loved it so much. Take care,, Love, Bert xo

  Bert Apr 19, 2009 2:51 AM

3

Thanks Bert! Yeah, I'm having a great time right now. Vietnam is so incredible! I've booked my trip home for May 17th, so I have just under a month left now...

  landon Apr 19, 2009 4:01 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.