Existing Member?

SE Asia

Vexed in Vietnam

VIETNAM | Monday, 23 December 2013 | Views [467]

It's hard to believe you are actually in Vietnam. The memories of the 60s flood back. Our trip to Halong Bay, one of the new seven wonders of the world was freezing cold wind and rain. Magical nonetheless, our Chinese junk was beautiful and we cruised happily with a delightful mix of cohorts from Bosnia, Greece, Argentina, Egypt, UK, India and Russia. Such great conversations and laughter. Yes, we really all can get along. Cut short, by weather we added a day in Hanoi. Sheer madness. Never seen so much traffic, people, chaos. Yet, arguably the best food we've ever eaten. The night train (so nice) landed us in Sapa @ sunrise to snow capped mountains. Trekking for 25km with our Black Hmong guide, we warmed quickly learning much about the tribes that have farmed the rice terraces for hundreds of years. Arduous climbs and descents, death defying waterfall crossings and more. Spent the night in a village home with our guide. SPECTACULAR, one of the best experiences of my life. At both Buddhist temples and the cathedral, prayers for all that served and all that were lost.

Tags: cruising, history, trekking

About lalo11


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.