Existing Member?

Loose in Cambodia

Exploring Angkor (1)

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 24 February 2008 | Views [671]

24.2.08

Today is for exploring the Temples of Angkor – first stop Angkor Wat. This palace is mind-blowing! This is not only because of its sheer size but the building quality and amazing detail of the carvings in its galleries. You can imagine what it was like to live in a place like this! Angkor Wat is the world’s largest religious monument and was built under the reign by King Suryavarman II in the early 12th century. It’s almost unbelievable in the way that the builders did not have cranes or trucks to carry supplies!

Next it was onto the Roluos Group of temples – Preah Ko, Bakong and Lolei. These temples were the first that were built to last. The brick infrastructure and carvings are still majorly intact. They may not have been as spectacular as Angkor Wat, however on the upside, there were far less crowds blocking photographs. Still well worth a visit!

The middle of the day was approaching and so was the ever-increasing UV factor so we made a decision to head back to Siem Reap. I had the afternoon to myself so I explored the Old Market. This place was bustling with tourists and locals. It was a great place to pick up a few Krama and other odds and ends.

After dinner I opted for some traditional Khmer massage to work out the knots in my muscles from days of being on-the-go. The young masseuse was chatty and loved to try and communicate the English she had learnt. It definitely made the pain of the massage take a back seat as my brain was concentrating on trying to understand what she was saying! Not as relaxing as what I envisioned but it was nice to have a chat to someone since I was travelling alone.

Tags: Culture

About kyliestephenson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.