Existing Member?

Loose in Cambodia

Starting my tour!

CAMBODIA | Friday, 22 February 2008 | Views [636]

22.2.08

I had to transfer from the Goldiana Hotel to the Princess Hotel to start my Intrepid tour so I grabbed a mototaxis who balanced me on the back and my huge backpack on the front!

After I checked in, I ventured down the main street and found a convenience store to fulfil my craving for chocolate! I sat on the steps out front of the store and engulfed my Cadbury fix. The weather was scorching so I made my way back to the hotel to cool down and wait for my tour guide to pick me up to show me around! A nice young lady from Intrepid Travel picked me up at 1400hrs and showed me around the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, the National Museum (again) and Phnom Wat. Phnom Wat was interesting in the fact that it was dedicated to a woman named Penh. This was where the city derived its name – Phnom Penh – Hill of Penh.

After an afternoon of sight-seeing, I was dropped back at my hotel and was free to do what I wanted for dinner. I took a tuk-tuk to a restaurant called Khmer Surin and ate a feast! I could barely walk after scoffing half their menu and grabbed a tuk-tuk home. I made an arrangement with the lovely tuk-tuk driver for a trip tomorrow to the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek and the Tuol Sleng Museum. His negotiations were priceless. I asked him how much for the round trip and he replied, "What’s good for you is good for me.” So I said, “Ok. How about $5?” and he replied with a smile, “Oh no, $10 – it’s good for me and good for you!” I couldn’t help but bend to his charm and agreed. He said not to forget him tomorrow morning and handed me his business card which was a handwritten wallet size piece of paper with his contact details and “Good service, good driver”. As far as I was concerned, I was sold!

Tags: Sightseeing

About kyliestephenson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.