Existing Member?

Backstage Pass to the World

From Sea to Skye

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 9 May 2014 | Views [72] | Scholarship Entry

After an early awakening, a lengthy train journey through the Scottish Highlands and a ferry ride, I arrived in Skye. The Isle of Skye was untainted in its' natural splendor. Waves lapping the shore, homes only dotting the landscape, not detracting from the snow tipped mountains and extensive beaches. My friend and I were delighted, it was a heavenly break from the cityscape we find ourselves experiencing on a day to day basis.

Difficulties were experienced when trying to commute from the ferry port to the location of our hostel, but locals recommended hitch hiking. This is one endeavor that neither of us had every been recommended before. But, as travelers, the mentality, of 'why not' seems to sometimes supersede all other ideas. So, with raised thumbs, walking backwards along the road, and slightly confused faces, we made our hitch hiking attempt. To be frank, it wasn't a complete fail, several kind people pulled over to see what direction we were heading. Sadly though, no one was venturing as far north as us. So we caved and caught the bus.

Once we'd arrived, settled into our hostel and explored the nearby town, we felt excited about the hiking trails that awaited us. We slept with our stomachs full and fingers crossed for a day without rain. To our grandeur, the rain held off and the sun made its' presence known. It made for the most ideal photographs of the scenery. We even opted to rent a car. Two Canadians driving on the wrong side of the road, on the opposite side of the car, could have been a recipe for disaster. But thankfully, with the barren roads, few cars present and low population of Skye, it was likely the best place to get some UK driving practice in.

We optimized our use of the car and drove from tip to tip. Stopping to enjoy several look out points, waterfalls, and hikes. We enjoyed the stunning views at the Old Man of Storr and the trickling sound of Faerie Pools. Our day was more typically Scottish than any other, even having to stop for a sheep-jam. The kind, wherein sheep decided to gather on the road, blocking our way.

Never had we experienced such beauty in silence. No bustling city sounds, only nature in it's finest glory.

The trip, though short, was a wonderful renewal. Rainbows in the sky, clear water and a landscape unlike any other. The Isle of Skye has certainly proven itself to be an unmissable Scottish destination.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ktemp


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.