Existing Member?

Krista's Travels

WWOOFing Experience #1: Bundagen Community

USA | Thursday, 13 November 2008 | Views [4256] | Comments [3]

My host Peter and I in his garden

My host Peter and I in his garden

I arrived last night in Byron Bay after spending 4 days WWOOFing for a lovely man named Peter, who lives in an intentional community. It was a wonderful experience and I learned quite a lot. Peter is a 76 year old man from Hungary. He and his South African wife moved to Bundagen community in 1983, two years after it was created, so he has a lot of insight. He has a permaculture orchard, herb garden, and chickens (chooks in Aussie language). Everyone has solar power and concrete water tanks and composting toilets (Peter had an outhouse). The separate villages within the community occupy the clearings left behing from the farmer that originally owned the land (800 acres). There is a gorgeous wilderness beach 10 minutes walk through the "bush", that stretches for miles in either direction.

I stayed in an old trailer and helped work with the bamboo, planting seedlings, pulling a noxious weed called "billy goat weed" that by law they have to eradicate, and weeding a bit in the garden. I also cleaned up in the house and kitchen when it was raining. It rained quite a bit but the sun came out every day regardless.

We talked in detail about community living, the challenges and benefits, about world politics, sustainability, and all else interesting. Another wwoofer arrived half way through my stay, which kept things interesting and provided another person to chat with and someone to work with as Peter was very busy with other things.

I am hoping to visit some other communities but so far am having a rediculously hard time finding hosts that are available at the moment!

Comments

1

Very cool stop here. Keep on keepin on Krista!

  Chris Nov 23, 2008 4:03 AM

2

Hi Krista,
My husband David and I visited Bundagen today as part of a tour group. There were only three of us and our guide Greg and we were all quite moved by what we saw there. I had been around the area in the early 80 s and was aware that Bundagen had been started but had never been there to see the results. It was for me, a reconnection with beliefs from the past and with the reasons why I once wanted to become part of a community like this. A wonderful and rewarding day!

  Jacqui Jan 5, 2010 9:27 PM

3

Hi krIsta, sounds like a fantastic experience. I am hoping to get to Bundagen ib the new year but I haven't been able to find a contact for it. Is there any way you could send me a contact email or phone number please? I would be so grateful. Love and light Katy

  Katy Dec 29, 2012 11:15 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.