Existing Member?

Live It!

Catch Up!

ETHIOPIA | Friday, 9 March 2012 | Views [995]

Keeping to form I am very behind in my blog updates. My apologies! Life has been really good. I have been in Ethiopia for the past couple of months. What an amazing country. It is here that coffee ceremonies happen almost daily, the dancing is in such a way that I had never before imagined my body moving, and men throw a lemon at a woman that he is attracted to during the Tumkat celebrations. I have been very blessed to stay with my Aunt and Uncle in Addis Ababa. They have been extremely good to us, showing us what it is really like to live in Ethiopia and be submersed in the culture. My cousins also keep us pretty busy with their high energy and early mornings!

 

I was able to go on a tour to the North of Ethiopia with my Uncle’s company. Wow…what an amazing trip! We first visited Lalibela, where King Facilitous built/dug churches into solid rock in order to build the ‘New Jerusalem’. It was absolutely amazing to fathom that people had used hand tools to dig such big and detailed churchs. Next we went to Gondor and saw the castles that were built there. The treck through the Simien Mountains was definitely the highlight of my trip! We hiked for four days through the stunning mountains. They are really tall with sharp cliffs and plateaus way up at the top. We also got delicious food and the coldest weather I had so far experienced this year. The trip finished in Bahir Dahr with the monestaries on Lake Tana. (Quick plug: Check out Ethioguzo...they're the BEST! http://www.ethioguzo.com/home).

 

I recently returned from a trip to Tanzania and Kenya. We were able to climb Mount Kilimanjaro on a seven-day tour. The Simien Mountains proved to be great training for the hike, both for the cold and the altitude. We experienced rain, snow, hail, cold, hot, sun, clouds… everything! I was very lucky to not feel any of the altitude… it is common for people to have headaches or to feel dizzy, especially at the top. Some of the people were walking so slow and just looked in pain. We summited just as the sun broke above the clouds… what an amazing sight! There were also glaciers at the top. It was so strange to be at the top where it was freezing cold and with glaciers, looking down below to where we knew it was super hot! We had a really good group to hike with and there was lots of dancing and singing during the tour, especially by the porters!

 

Rilla and I also had the chance to return to Kisii to visit Pastor Robert, Teri and the girls. They were so excited to see us. The girls and Teri ran to greet us with big hugs! Pastor Robert came later and I don’t think Teri told him we were coming because his only comment was “Where did you surface from”. I also got to go back to the school where Rilla taught, I taught a science lesson about the interdependence of plants and animals (talk about being thrown into something) and then I went to the hospital to visit the staff there. One of the doctors has left to go back to school now but everyone else was there and it was so fun to see them! Dolphine, one of the HIV couselors was very honest in her new scrutiny of me… “you have gotten fat”. What do you say to that but yea I’ve put on weight… its all the chapatti I’ve been eating. At least she’s honest.

We have also now had a chance to spend some time in Harbu Chulule. I absolutely love it there! We are taking a taekwondo class, which I’m hoping will help to diminish my ‘fat’ appearance. There are a couple teachers from Addis who have come to Harbu Chulule for the sole purpose of teaching taekwondo. They offer it at a really cheap price and the people there really love it! The classes are just packed with people and when we walk down the street a lot of the kids will walk up to us punching and yelling ‘taekwondo’ because they know we are in the class too. We were able to purchase some supplies for the teachers to use so that they are not restricted in their teaching by lack of equipment. It is a really good thing for the community and is causing lots of excitement!

 

We have also met a lot with the principle of the preparatory school which is only grade 11 students, and is for those who scored well in grade 10 so that they may be more prepared to attend University. We are planning to teach computers, tutor and just hang out with the kids to encourage them in their English communication. They begin with English classes in grade school, and by grade 10 all their subjects are taught in English. It is surprising when talking with them how much they struggle to communicate using English when their workbooks are full of perfect sentences. This is one of the principles main goals for us!

 

Dr. Asrat was in Harbu Chulule for a week performing cataract surgeries. What an amazing man! He gives up a lot of his time and money to be able to help people see. We were able to watch surgeries as well as to help in taking histories of some of the patients. The people were extrememly thank-ful and really excited at the prospect of being able to soon see their family, home and cattle again.

 

The language has been super difficult. Amharic is one of the official languages for the country which is spoken all over, however, in Harbu Chulule they speak a completely different language called orominia. I’m not sure I would really recommend learning two languages at once to anyone else… it sure makes for a challenge, but is of course fun.

 

Janessa and David have joined Rilla and me in Harbu Chulule. I think we will have lots to do and am looking forward to seeing what is accomplished in the town. We also went with Ralph, Sarah, Lindsey and Melanie who came from there time in Rwanda. It was sure fun to have them out and we are looking forward to being able to share idea’s with Ralph and get things going.

 

About klnjaa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.