Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Waterfalls!

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Sunday, 24 June 2012 | Views [2913]

Happy Sunday! Our free days continue! Yesterday it was the beach yet this morning Tim's son Oliver took us on an excursion to various waterfalls. As we sat at breakfast this morning it was time to say goodbye to Alisa. She flew back to Washington earlier today and we're all going to miss her. About a dozen of us walked up the road a wee bit, avoiding whatever speeding motorcycle that whizzed by at twice the speed limit. Melissa "Melly-Moo" walked up to a cow and was like "I don't know why people eat you, you're so beautiful" seriously talking to it like Dr. Dolittle. She sure is quite a character. There's almost no rubbish on the way to the waterfall, and I remarked at how the trail is much cleaner than the waterfalls I visited in El Salvador. Then I spot a whole pile of Styrofoam lunch containers. Disgusting! If people can carry their lunch in then why can't they carry out their empty container? The full container is heavier than the empty one so it's pure laziness. Courtney said she's suggest bringing some bags with the next group to carry out some of the rubbish left in here. I removed my shoes, took my backpack off and then jumped on in! I'm the only volunteer with a waterproof camera, so it's helpful if others want photos of themselves in the water.

On a hot day, a dip in a waterfall feels amazing, but in the Dominican Republic, it feels amazing on any day! Some members of the group were busy taking nose dives off the rocks whilst others were more or less just keeping cool. I was doing a little of both as I was taking photos (and holding on tight to my camera).

We then climbed the rocks to the next pool. Others had to be careful with their cameras if they even brought them up, I was able to wade through the pool with no problems.

With a Hawaii-like setting, Melly-Moo wanted her photo taken. 

Then it was Katie's turn

And next up it was several of us! From left to right: Alex, Cheta, Katie, Sharon, and Torrie

What a perfect setting! It was then time for more leaping off rocks! Last week I couldn't find the burst feature in my camera; today there'd be no such drama. Courtney is amazed at how my camera can snap several photos in succession of people in midair off the rocks. She may have been amazed, but check out this amazing photo of our project leader! 

Courtney noticed this bright orange fungi up on some rocks prior to jumping, and she asked if she could "steal" it when I put it on Facebook. It may look like slices of orange dangling off the rock but to be safe, don't eat it.

It was almost noon and I hadn't had my fill of leaping off rocks, snapping watery photos, discovering orange fungi, and being a daredevil. We had to get back to the lodge in time for lunch. Today it was an American backyard barbeque-style lunch of hamburgers, hot dogs, and Kraft macaroni & cheese, but no fall-off-the-bone baby back ribs! My bathers are still wet as we feast to a fabulous morning!   

Tags: adventures, waterfalls

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.