Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Beomeosa Temple

SOUTH KOREA | Thursday, 12 November 2015 | Views [1579]

Lovely walkway with colours of autumn

Lovely walkway with colours of autumn

Within a short bus ride of Busan is Beomeosa Temple. Modern high-rises exist a 10-minute bus ride away but Beomeosa Temple dates back to the 7th century! Monks practice their prostration and people come to offer prayers. As I was on a packed bus mostly with elderly Koreans I was the only foreigner, and immediately someone said to me "why are you alone? where's your girlfriend? or your family?" I can't speak a word of Korean and very, very few Koreans speak English. As on a yacht, on a Korean bus you always have to have one hand firmly gripped onto something unless you want to go flying on your ass (or worse). As I walked in search of a trail to a hill with a spectacular view, a wise old man of about 70 or so said "why don't you come with me, they have free lunch down here at the temple." His name is Jung Te-yung. Remembering what I've learned I decided to go with him where I feasted on rice, vegetables, and a really tasty soup similar to miso. When I told him I was going to the DPRK next week he said "the Koreas are at war but when you think about it we are brothers" Jung is correct! The other day I found a video on YouTube which I'd be searching for for years about a 12-year old boy in Germany whose mum invited in three American GIs and four German soldiers for a Christmas dinner. They all connected and he later said "it was then I learned: it doesn't matter what uniform we wear, we all have the same problems." I support no wars and anybody who decides to go fight in one. 

Leaving the temple behind I wanted, or felt like I needed, a spectacular view a la Ben Lomond or Mt. Fuji. Following the crowd I felt like I was headed in the right direction. Koreans are very avid hikers, and even though it's early on a Thursday the trail was packed with locals fitted well with walking poles and hiking gear. Up the hill I continued to walk, knowing the my best bet is to continue to ascend because eventually I'd run out of space to go up. The colours of autumn would mesmerize me again as I stopped for a spectacular photo. 

The autumn colours here are so spectacular! The only direction for me was up at this point and I walked relentlessly in pursuit of greatness! In three days in Korea so far I feel like I've done very little. Where is that amazing photo, that "holy grail" I'm always seeking when I'm in a new place? I sort of found it when I stumbled upon a massive fortress with a wall that seemed to stretch across the horizon. On a rocky hill I could spot a staircase with some people looking out so I figured that might be the place. A young man from Malaysia would catch up to me as I clenched my fists walking purposefully toward the top. With a sore foot due to stepping on a piece of glass yesterday I walked through the pain and on up. Despite a cold wind a-blowin' I sat triumphantly at 801.5 metres.

What a view! This has been what I'm looking for! 

I must say I love it up here! Korea has some spectacular views and some spectacular walks and I promise this isn't the only one I'll do! 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.