Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Storm on a Bicycle

NORFOLK ISLAND | Monday, 31 August 2015 | Views [666]

The rain came down like thunder on the tin roof this morning, so much I woke up at one point and nearly had a heart attack. At 9 AM I knew this rain wouldn’t be going anywhere for the better part of the day so I decided to go about my business as if I were living in Ketchikan or Fox Glacier. “Have you had breakfast yet” asked Heide? Up for only a cuppa and a couple slices of toast slathered with honey, I was eager to get out there. Learning my lesson from the Top End, I left my camera and cycled away. With a long list of people I haven’t seen yet I rode down to Kingston to see Racheal first. Soaking wet, we caught up for a few. Museums are always busy when it rains and I should know that! There’s a geocache by Arthur’s Vale that I signed off on, making sure not to get it wet and I started riding up the hill. I tried to make it but told myself if a truck is coming I’m putting out my thumb. Sure enough I did just that and ended up directly in front of Café Tempo. Emma, to my surprise, greeted me warmly. She said excitedly that she’s going to Melbourne to see her godchildren in a few weeks. Hadyn showed up so we chatted for a bit. As a visitor to Norfolk I’m always an oddity, and I mention that as the café was filled with retirees and older people from Australia. Instead of asking if one is from Australia or New Zealand it’s always “are you from Aussie or Kiwi?” Often people don’t even have to ask as it’s often known which flight people come in on. The rain and wind were almost hurricane force today. As I walked into the bank carrying all my heavy coins, Sarah was shocked and smiled “this doesn’t look like North Korea, where did you come from?” She thought I was leaving for North Korea the other day! Bringing in so many Aussie dollars (nearly $700) I’m flush with spending money. Slightly drier (and lighter as a result of depositing the coins) I then caught up with Kerry, and found out Wally’s mother passed away. Nicki and Wally were next on my list to call and possibly catch up with but it’s best that I give them a few days. Kerry said it’d be appropriate to go to the funeral even in shorts and “Norfolk shoes” (which is no shoes, and I’m embracing). Troy and I caught up as he drove by and then I visited Leo the coin dealer at the hospital. Throughout the day I would also catch up with Gaelene, Denise, Michelle (the headmaster) and again with Cristina. Several teachers have left the island due to health problems, either with themselves or with family members. With all the problems this island goes through it really tears me up. Many people would nonchalantly say “that’s everywhere” but Norfolk always seems to have problems to another degree. Norfolk Island is like the student on the autism spectrum: he tends to sit rather quietly under the radar in the back of the classroom, is highly gifted, and the only time people talk to him or say anything about him it’s something negative or a form of bullying. In the media, all you hear about Norfolk is something to do with politics or whatever. Regardless of what happens, Norfolk never loses its spirit. Dave and I decided on making pizzas tonight so we stopped at Foodlands for stuff yet there was no fresh basil. If you don’t see fresh fruits or veggies at the market your best bet on Norfolk is to look around or ask around, though I didn’t put forth the effort. Finally the rain stopped and I could go shoot photos and go geocaching properly. I had picked up a bottle of wine yet foolishly forgot to put it in the fridge when I called in at home for a minute. Cristina spotted me as she drove by and I excitedly pointed out the geocache in the tree. The sunset tonight was magnificent! With my camera I practiced with the sunset and roaming cattle. Storm on a bicycle really fit in here! 

 

According to rumours the Australian government may ban freely roaming cattle on Norfolk soon for “insurance reasons.” That would be sad because it’s part of what makes Norfolk special. Pizzas and wine tonight were tasty as I sat warm and toasty by the fire (another reason I love Norfolk so much). Troy and I will catch up at some point tomorrow, as will Lex and I. She and several of us are planning a camping trip at Simon’s Water this Friday. I didn’t bring my tent but one of my goals is to pioneer camping on Norfolk; the potential is enormous. Let's hope the weather is better morla. See, I'm a true Nuffka (Norfolker). 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norfolk Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.