Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Anzac Dawn Service

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 25 April 2015 | Views [618]

Last year I was in NZ for Anzac Day and I missed the dawn service. Now I'm in Australia and I made it! Anzac Day isn't a celebration or a time to party, and you'll never hear "Happy Anzac Day" coming from the mouth of an Aussie are a Kiwi. 25 April 1915 is the date the Australia & New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) landed at Gallipoli but Anzac is a sombre tribute to the fallen at wars in Egypt, Burma, Malaya, Borneo, East Timor, Afghanistan, the Pacific Islands, Iraq and so forth. Proudly I wore two different pins for this year's 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing and to pay respect to my fallen Australian and Kiwi comrades. Ironic it may be that I attend such a service since I'm anti-military, but these are people who have fallen who chose to be of service to their respective countries. Furthermore, lest I forget that my grandfather was in the US Navy and my girlfriend's father was in the Indonesian Army. Years ago I said: "one thing I really love about Australia and New Zealand is that they're two of the few countries in the world to have never been at war with another country." That statement could cause offense but I was both right and wrong: Australia nor New Zealand have ever waged war on another country but they've been allies with the US and involved in wars indirectly. 

Yesterday I met a former military officer in the most unique way possible. On the train I found a copy of Maestro John Monash by Tim Fischer. Fischer is a former Australian deputy prime minister and military officer. I brought the book home thinking "this looks like a good read" (I'm a horrible reader and only glance at books). The next morning I checked to make sure it wasn't a library book, so I could return it and ensure the borrower isn't charged overdue fees. There was an autograph and a note stating "to the greatest graduate of the greatest officer training unit - 2/68 - Turner W.E. 3793893." When I showed Jo she deciphered the handwriting and said W.E. could be "William Edward." I thought I'd play "Sherlock Holmes" and try to find the owner. Obviously, Mr. Fischer holds this person with very high esteem. Doing some googling I came up with "OTU, Scheyville" (pronounced "skyville") and called two different phone numbers. I should add I've returned a lot of lost property by doing some simple (or challenging) detective work. A few years ago I returned a flash drive when I founded the owner's CV on it; I then went to where she worked currently to drop it off. A couple of months ago I returned a backpack when the kid left his mobile phone in it, enabling me to call his father. Those are just a couple of examples. After all, if I lose something sentimental or anything for that matter I'd hope someone put forth the same effort. Yesterday morning I got a call from a man named "Bill Turner" and he was the one who left the book on the train! It turned out he fell asleep on the train after attending a dissertation presentation that Tim Fischer was giving. Bill called in with a bottle of wine and amazement for the effort to return his book. He asked if I was doing anything today and I said "I should be attending the dawn service." He said I could catch a lift with him to the Shrine of Rememberance where they held a special 100th anniversary cerimony. In the end I didn't go with him but I was up extra early and walked to the dawn service at the Chelsea RSL just a couple km from my house. It was dark, cold, and a chance of a downpour at anytime yet at least 300 people showed up for the service. Flags were at half-staff, the cauldron was lit, flowers were laid, and people held their heads high in honour of those who have fallen.

It was a sombre yet very moving tribute. Proudly I wore my pins and carried the Australian flag in my jacket pocket. For the first time I listened to and sang Advance Australia Fair live. At heart, I'm proudly Australian! This is my country! Honestly, it's hard to say which country I love more: New Zealand or Australia. On the cricket ground, these two countries are at war but on Anzac Day they are one. Lest we forget our fallen comrades. Though I was exhausted and on the verge of collapse I went into the RSL for breakfast for a gold coin donation. They're very strict about hat removal as I was quickly told to remove mine; even military personnel in uniform have to remove their hats. A hearty breakfast of hash browns, bacon, sausage, and baked beans on toast with a cuppa felt great! When it comes to photos in a situation like this it always pays to be respectful, though a soldier allowed his photo taken with his various medals.

For the rest of Anzac Day it'd be rather sombre, and I was exhausted throughout the day. The dawn service was solemn, and reciting various Anzac Day poetry throughout the day brought tears to my eyes. Banjo Patterson's "We're all Australians now" is my favourite! 100 years young, lest we forget! 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.