Existing Member?

Americas

Tikal, Guatemala

GUATEMALA | Wednesday, 4 January 2012 | Views [402]

Simply Amazing. We camped in the grounds of one of the 3 hotels there and somehow ended up in bed by about 9.30.  We went on a rather unsuccessful jungle walk in the afternoon once we'd arrived on the first day - climbing the rickety Mirador lookout in a falling down fig tree turned out to be a bit more adventurous for me and I didn't make it to the collapsed platform on the top.  Little wildlife sighted.

We were woken up at about 3.30 am by the Germans in the tent next to us.  What fools we thought they were at the time.  At about 4.30 - 5, the kitchen staff rocked up and started banging pots and pans, so reluctantly we pulled ourselves off our inflatable mattress and out of our tent to get dressed in the dark and head off to watch the sunrise in the ruins.  Stupid us it turned out as we only had to bribe the guards to get in to the ruins, which actually opened at 6am, and as we got there dawn broke meaning we had to pretty much run/walk the 25 minutes to Temple IV to ensure we didn't miss the sunrise.  Seemed the Germans had the right idea after all.  Either way the day started off with a couple of shooting stars, an amazing sunrise on the top of Temple IV, sightings of 2 species of Toucans - a rare sight, and heaps of other cool birds and furry animals such as a gang of coati.  The ruins were just simply amazing.  Good to see the creme de la creme of Mayan Ruins.

Tags: ruins

 

About kirstykay


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.