Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 137 - Bogota

COLOMBIA | Monday, 20 October 2014 | Views [274]

After a tasty jamon y queso croissant and tinto (small black coffee) from my favourite local hole in the way just down from the hostel, a group of us set out on the free street art tour of Bogota. Under the expertise of Colombian American artist, Rae we toured around Centro and La Candeleria for nearly 5 hours checking out the works of various local and international artists. 

We saw some amazing stencilling, freehand graffiti, stickers and even 3d installations around Bogota’s back and main streets. In Colombia, street art is not legal but is highly tolerated and in fact, celebrated. Some of these pieces of art are worth tens of thousands of dollars and transform communities with colours and messages. 

Following the tour we decided to check out the city’s biggest flea market, foraging for bargains we actually met Carlos, one of the street artists who’s work we had been admiring throughout the morning. We then grabbed some street food and sat down for a picnic in the park. Salted, buttered corn on a stick really has to be one of the best snacks. Arguably not too healthy but accompanied by a cup of fresh watermelon chunks this was the perfect fusion of food for the afternoon.

Set for another adventure we tried a second time to find Tejo, stopping via a local fruit market to make sure we had tried every fruit we hadn’t seen before. The Tejo place was open - a very nondescript hole in the wall at front, the back was where all the action happened. Basically Tejo involves getting a hockey type puck, throwing it underarm in an arch towards a box of mud with a metal ring dotted with triangles of gunpowder. The aim is to hit the ring and make the gunpowder triangles explode.When that happens, not only do you win points but often you get a little sprayed with clumps of mud. It is hilarious and mandatorily accompanied with a crate of beer. So we spent several hours drinking beer and trying to play Tejo, It was great craic as our Irish friend said.

Full of beer and a little muddy we headed back to the hostel to change our clothes and then head out for dinner. It was freezing and raining (not unusual) but we found a great little cafe with an open fire to settle in with comfort food and vino tinto. We moved onto another small cafe bar, also with a fire for mulled win (more like warm sangria) and some live music.

A great final night in Bogota. 

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.