Existing Member?

One passport, one bag, one great adventure...

Cambodia Bound

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 17 January 2012 | Views [1002] | Comments [1]

I am currently sitting in the restaurant of our Hotel in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Unfortunately the battery on my netbook has died and outlets aren't working at this hotel.

Alot has happened in the last while. Last Friday I met up with my tour group, the same day I visited the Grand Palace in Bangkok. I had to rush to get to our meeting hotel, as I was unable to find a taxi that was willing to use the meter, which is more expensive. Anyways, as you can see I've made it!

Saturday morning we boarded a bus and began our 7 hour drive to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Crossing the border was interesting, hot and long, so we ended up arriving at our hotel later then planned. That night we hopped onto a Tuk Tuk and headed out for a traditional Khmer meal prepared by a local school. It was the best meal I've had so far. The lady incharge of the school then asked us to speak and play with the local children to help them learn English. As you will eventually see from photos, give a child a camera to play with and they have a blast!

The next day we did a full day tour of the Angkor Wat temples, starting with the buddist temple Angkor Tom. The day was long and exhausting, but a memorable experience. We were able to climb all over the temples, something that I expect will be stopped in the near future. We also visted the temple where Tomb Raider was filmed!

The last temple we visted of course was the Hindu temple Angkor Wat. Words can't describe the beauty of the temple or the view. I will hopefully have some photos of it up soon (I'm not sure whether the upload worked last night).

After Siem Reap we headed to Phnom Penh. The City is a little busy and so far I've preferred Siem Reap. This morning though we were able to visit the old prison museum and the killing fields from the late 1970s. My entire group felt very sick after visiting them and learning about horror the Cambodian people went through during that time period.

Tomorrow we head to Sihanouke Ville for some beach time and snorkeling! I can't wait to get out of the city, relax and enjoy the sun!

Comments

1

It sounds like you are having a blast...keep the updates coming!
Kim

  Kim Jan 22, 2012 12:45 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.