Existing Member?

Turning 30 South American Style With the dreaded 30th birthday looming, I ran away to South America to celebrate the landmark birthday in style.

Back in Argentina in Bariloche

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 20 February 2008 | Views [829]

Steve and I accidentally climbed a mountain today. Only a little one at 2500 meters, but a mountain none the less. It all happened becuase the wee ramble we planned to do began with a ride up a ski lift charging a rather steep price of 40 pesos. So Steve stormed off, full of manly determination and started up the hill. I followed, complaining all the way, arriving at the top around two hours later to a lovely view across the whole of Barioloche, a lovely mountain alpine chalet style town just across the border from Chile. It´s a lovely place here, really nice and laid back and we have landed ourselves in a nice hostel called alaska which is around 7km out of town but is a wee chalet with a nice family feel. When we arrived the owner´s baby was sat in the middle of the table surrounded by soft white fluffy towels looking like a fairy soap powder advert. We had to go shopping to buy steve some shoes for our ramble as his trainers have fallen apart and got rather carried away at a cafe, popping in for a plain old coffee emerging four cakes later. This counter was literally cake heaven. The town mascot appears to be a giant St Bernard dog and there was one in the town square, modelled on the Swiss style, next to the choclate shop. Rather get the impression that the Swiss theme is quite big here. Off to track down my clothes which are hopefully freshly laundered by now. Adios.

Tags: argentina, bariloche, border, cerro catedral, chocolate, mountain, st bernard, swiss, the great outdoors, trekking

About katrinamckeever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.