Existing Member?

Turning 30 South American Style With the dreaded 30th birthday looming, I ran away to South America to celebrate the landmark birthday in style.

Penguins in Chiloe

CHILE | Wednesday, 20 February 2008 | Views [1518]

Mission penguin saw us taking a short ferry trip over to the Island of Chiloe, a lovely little place full of smugglers coves, sandy beaches and lots of folklore. We arrived in a rain storm, andmanaged to pitch the tent in a nice wee place with tidy hedges and an outdoor covered picnic table, big bonus. Waking in glorious sunshine the following day, we walked down to the beach to watch the locals gather stinky sea weed and dry it on the rocks. Disgusting stuff, they even have the massive sea spaghetti stuff which out me right off going for a paddle but hey ho. Took a trip to see the penguins and they were lovely. We got a great view of them standing around on the rocks. They dont do much but the baby penguins were at that awkward teenage in between phase where they shed fur and bits of grey tuft stick out every where. Bless. Next stop Castro, nice enough but not much to it so we headed out pretty quick to the National Park. We arrived there in a total gale and blew out budget spending a whopping ten pound each on a room in the loveliest hostel ever. I got straight into bed and stayed there to take advantage of the warm cosiness as long as possible, quite a contrast to the tent! The next day we headed out to the park to walk along the sand dunes and poke washed up jelly fish with our feet.

Tags: camping, castro, chile, chiloe, ferry, hostel, island, penguins, south america, the great outdoors

About katrinamckeever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.