Existing Member?

Turning 30 South American Style With the dreaded 30th birthday looming, I ran away to South America to celebrate the landmark birthday in style.

Santiago de Chile

CHILE | Friday, 8 February 2008 | Views [902]

Santiago was a pleasent surpise for us. We only really spent two days there and to be honest, I can´t imagine needing any more than that, but it was a nice big city with a really pleasent feel to it.

The metro system is ace, and cheap. It even has wi fi zones where loads of people sit using their lap tops. Weird. The food and drink is expensive though and pretty awful unless you go really top dollar. We did try a restuarant one night and got a a Pisco Sour which was very nice but the food we ordered with it was just inedible.

Lesson learned, we camped out in our hotel, which is in the cobbled area called Paris Londres. Fortunately we had a front balcony facing over a sqaure where so we could sit with bread and cheese and a couple of bottles of wine and spend the evening gazing out at the courting couples below wandering hand in hand in the lamp light.

Not much more to report really, we visited the library which was beauftiful and the museum beneath the parliament building which is like a cross between the Tate Modern and the Paris Louvre pyramid. All very nice, nothing remarkable, but nice all the same. 

Tags: chile, city, hotel, latin america, metro, museum, pisco sour, restaurant, santiago de chile, south america

About katrinamckeever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.