Existing Member?

South America

Mira Flores

PERU | Wednesday, 12 February 2014 | Views [978]

Mira Flores sign on the beach - this is the only bit of sand on the beach as it is mainly gravel and has very steep hills on the side of the.coastal road - there is even a sign indicating a tsunami evacuation route.

Mira Flores sign on the beach - this is the only bit of sand on the beach as it is mainly gravel and has very steep hills on the side of the.coastal road - there is even a sign indicating a tsunami evacuation route.

Hola, hope this update finds you all well and happy.  We are staying in a great hostel in Mira Flores which is one of the wealthiest suburbs of Lima.  This is so very clean and not what I was expecting.  There are no strange smells and haven't seen any rats - which I am very surprised about.  Not what I was expecting at all.  The weather is glorious and quite warm.

We are walking everywhere but tomorrow we are going to catch the bus into Lima as they have some great sights to see.  We have also booked our bus tickets to Cusco and will be heading there on Friday so mum, please don't worry too much.  We will let you know when we get there.

Language is a bit of a barrier and we have never felt it like we need to know the language like we have here.  We are trying to speak a bit each day and will need to start thinking in Spanish too.  On Sunday we were given a very warm welcome to Lima by a lovely old woman - I thanked her in Spanish and Rob said merci.  I don't think he even realised that he said it but I had tears rolling down my face.

Traffic is well controlled and the cars are pretty well looked after but we are surprised that there aren't many motorbikes.  We saw a guy run out of fuel so he proceeded to fill it up with a plastic container that he had in the car.  

Food is reasonably well priced and I saw my first packaged guinea pig last night - just nestled in amongst the other meat.  We can buy a six-pack of beer in the supermarket for about $5.  Bottled water is very cheap too.

About kabrjb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.