Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

The island of Morro de São Paulo

BRAZIL | Friday, 17 April 2009 | Views [1517]

The now five of us (Paula from the hostel in Rio joined us) left Salvador for Morro de São Paulo. Morro de São Paulo is one of 5 villages of the island Tinharé,  60km from Salvador by sea.  Cars are forbidden on the island. 

The boat trip should have taken 2 1/2 hours but instead took nearly 5. On account of engine failure. I´ve been in this situation before!!!....(Whakatane, New Zealand). The sea was really rough too. Amazingly I was ok, whilst many other passengers were being sick. I had taken a pill beforehand but normally they have no effect on me. Maybe I have overcome my seasickness.

Got to the island in the dark only to find there was no accommodation available.  I had thought being low season there would no problem finding anywhere to stay. I hadn't realised that the locals had a 4 day holiday and clearly Morro was a favourite destination. Hunted around and found a place for the five of us. Put it this way it's all about location and beach two is renowned for being the best. The fact the toilet in the dorm was only screened from the room by an obscure glass shower panel was a minor issue.   The morning´s ablutions would be interesting.

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.