Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

More Sightseeing in Rio

BRAZIL | Friday, 3 April 2009 | Views [714]

The view from the Corcovado Mountain

The view from the Corcovado Mountain

Fortunately a good day to see Christo Redentor situated atop the Corcovado Mountain. The statue is a new edition to the New Seven Wonders of the World. Built in 1931 it stands approximately 38 metres high.  We took the venicular train up the mountain rather than do the walk. Money well spent.

Once at the top, the place was mobbed with tourists as one would expect. Apart from standing at the base of Rio's most famous landmarks, the view was amazing. From here, geographically, Rio does look stunning. . . . socially and economically, a different story entirely. The vista gave a great views of Copacabana, Leblon and other various districts that make up the city. And of course the flavelas with their haphazard buildings clinging to the hills.


To get an alternative view of the city, went to Pão de Açúcar (Sugar Loaf Mountain). A couple of swift couple car rides took  us up to the viewing area of another famous Rio landmark. Again, another great view of Rio.

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.