Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Sightseeing in Rio

BRAZIL | Thursday, 2 April 2009 | Views [707]

Cococabana

Cococabana

Just to get things straight Barry Manilow sang about the Copacabana night club in New York not the area in Rio.  

The Sun was out in Rio so headed out to explore the beaches.  They were amazing, White sand that stretches over 4 kilometres.  Although one thing did bother me....where are all the Chicas....it could have been Worthing beach!!!   Also, I was surprised by the fact the whole length of the beaches were lined by hotel,  not a fish and chip shop or amusement arcade anyway;  Cut through to Ipanema where the vibe was totally different to that of Copacabana mainly because it is the more affluent area of Rio.

Caught a taxi to one of Rio´s famous landmarks, Big Jesus also known as the statue of Christ the Redeemer ('Cristo Redentor') atop the Corcovado mountain, now named one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.  By the time we got there the clouds had come down making the view over the city impossible, so we decided to do it another day.  Later travelled across the city to the Centro area....a bit of a disappointment.  It wasn´t the most attractive area and we struggled to find anything of interest, with the exception of the Cathedral (Seen one you´ve seen them all).

So far disappointed by a city that nearly everyone raves on about.

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.