Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Paraty, Brasil

BRAZIL | Sunday, 29 March 2009 | Views [893]

Capela de Santa Rita
Capela de Santa Rita is the oldest church in Paraty. It was completed in 1722. This was the church of the white elite and freeman, former slaves. It is currently home to the Museum of Sacred Art

Capela de Santa Rita Capela de Santa Rita is the oldest church in Paraty. It was completed in 1722. This was the church of the white elite and freeman, former slaves. It is currently home to the Museum of Sacred Art

Had one the best breakfasts I've had since I've been in South America. In addition to the mandatory ham and cheese the owners even had home made peanut butter. Not many home comforts I miss but Sun Pat is one of them!

Clare and I took the advice of the owner and headed up into the hills to find some waterfalls.  After a short walk in the tropical heat we found the falls. Not really much of waterfall just a little random recreational area with slides and a pool with water from the natural stream.

Later went into the town. The small coastal village of Paraty is a virtual museum within a tropical paradise. It is located 125 miles southeast of Rio and possesses one of the finest examples of classical 18th century Portuguese colonial buildings.  All the streets are cobbled..big cobbles too.  Quite difficult to walk down the street in flip flops after the rain showers!

There are no cars allowed in the main centre which adds to the charm.  It was a shame that it was raining on and off for most of the day.

Sampled the Brazilian dish Moqueca (associated more with the Bahia state), basically fish stewed with green peppers, tomatoes and coconut milk, spiced with dende oil (palm oil).  Plenty more to come me thinks.

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.