Existing Member?

NoFixedAddress

Marrakesh...makes me feel like Alice in wonderland!

MOROCCO | Saturday, 27 March 2010 | Views [476]

Where to begin. A chaotic assult on the sense. That does not even begin to describe it but it will have to do ha!
 
After our first night we were ready to dive in and see what Marrakesh had to throw at us, and let me tell you its pretty much everything and anything here!
 
Night is when the Djemaa el-Fna (the central square in the medina, the medina being the walled area of a city or town where you will finde the souques, souques being stalls and vendors with clothing, food and other nick-nacks) realy comes to life, but we will get to that in a bit. During the day in the centre square you have the guys with their monkeys and the snake charmers working hard to draw tourist in. Then there are the ladies giving henna tatoos who if you are not careful will grab your hand and start applying hena before you know that they are even there, they are like ninjas, henna ninjas, and I almost got taken by one! Then there are the water guys who are dressed in some sort of outfit I'd say is traditional but am not really sure about that, anyhow they clang away trying to get anyones attention and when they do they poor water out of a bag (think Davie Crocket style animal hide/blader bag all covered in fur) into a communal brass cup. Not only does the communal cup turn me off but you have to wonder where that water comes from...things that make you go hmmm.

In the Medina you always need to be on your game or you will end up with a snake around your neck, a monkey on your shoulder, henna staining your hand or a new pair leather shoes before you know it. . Walking through the souques you need to either have very strong will power or just not look into vendors stalls at all, as one look, just one little look will lead to a whole produduction and it is almost the same everytime...'Bonjour/Hola/Hello, come in, have a look, looking is free!' Hahaha ya, looking is free until you walk in and then then they hit you with the purchasing pressure. We found that we got spoken to in Spanish quite a bit, there is a massive amount of Spanish tourist that visit Morocco which makes sense as they are so close. And I must say it is impressive how many languages some of the faux guides and vendors are able to speak just from leaning it from tourist. Then there are the transportation dangers...usually a hiss or shout of any kind means 'get out of the way!' and you have to squish yourself even closer to the shops and walls as either a moto bike with one to three people squashed on, or donkey/horse drawn cart passes by.

My favorit thing to do in Marrakesh is sit up on a terrace, where the drinks are hightly over priced (but as Zack said, your paying for the  view) and sit and watch the the madness from above. And the best time to do this, in my opinion, is the late afternoon when you can watch the food vendor setting up and hear the prayed being belowed over the speakers surrounding the Medina. From above you can watch the people at work  and suss out their tactics before you head down. For instance the snake charmers are so smooth. As soon as they spot a unsuspecting tourist taking photos of their snakes they come around from the side or back and slide a snake around the tourists neck and they take their hat off their head and as they slide it onto the tourist head who is now distracted by the snake around their neck does not even notic that the snake charmer has taken their camer out of their hands. The deal has been done. They get their photo taken and pay the fee.
 
Eating from the food vendors can be as much of a headache as it is pleasurable. If you head down the midle of two rows you are sure to get shouted at and have numerous menues shoved in your face as you try and walk. As most places sell the same thing it can be entertaining being fought so hard over, but I must say I did hit a breaking point one night. Thoes who know me well will know that I can get, how should I say this, somewhat irritable when I am hungry haha. So one night were doing our usual walk down through the mass of stalls and we made the mistake of stoping momentarily to discuss where to go, and thats when we got swarmed. People all around us shoving menues in our faces and promising airconditioned seating haha, and the most delicious food! And then the grabing began...this is where I drew my line. I threw my hands up and said 'no touching' and stormed out of there. Zach just followd laughing. But once you do enter your stall of choice the madness is not over yet. As you enter the stall to take a seat the cooks and other staff beging to clap and cheer and you start to feel so exposed and on display, but that said it is definalty entertaining. Then once you are seated you are not always asked what you would like but rather food is just placed in front of you. We leaned that in restraunts little munchies (bread and dip or olives) before your food is served is complementary but at the vendors is not, and funny enough they neglect to mention this when they place the food in front of you. We have definalty eaten our fair share of Tajijs (basically a slow cooked meal) and couscous. Some of the more interesting foods we tried have been snail soup, and a 'mixed meat' dish. We were intreagued by the  full cooked  sheep heads on the counter of one of the vendors and turns out 'mixed meat' means everything on the head choped up and plopped on your plat...minus bones of course, and the eyeball, I saw him squeez that out and toss it somewhwere.

As fun and exciting as the Medina can be it also has its dark side. Not only do you see young people tucking themselvesin with cardboard on steps of shops after they have closed, but tourism has not necessarily had only a good affect on the younger generation. At night the square is full of childeren running rampid selling kleenex or cookies to tourist, some just squat in one spot looking board, and some do not even try and sell anything but will just wake up to tourist and tap their mouths to show that they are hungry. And I have to tell you some of these kids are persistent. I actually saw one kid do this mouth tapping ritual to a female tourist at one of the food vendor tables and when she showed him her food he grabed it and walked off. I am really torn on the begging situation. On one side I see the kids all run to an adult whom it seems could be the ring leader of the operation, but then you have to wonder if some of them really have no nothing and you may be helping them. That is an issue up for debate that I will not get into, but begging is something that you can not avoid and it is especially bad in Marrakesh. If you go just be prepared.

 

About juliethenomad

Enjoying the beach in Dingle

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.