Existing Member?

Revolution All Around: Documenting Israeli Identity in 2011 'Documenting my Documentation' (try saying that five times fast.)

Terrorist Attacks in South

ISRAEL | Thursday, 18 August 2011 | Views [572]

So, about three hours ago, a "multifocal attack" was carried out in Eilat (near the Egyptian border.) So far, eight Israelis have been killed, more than 30 injured. They shot at buses, private vehicles, and had roadside bombs.

The Sinai is notoriously a dangerous place to be, but lately, people have felt safe visiting. In fact, one of the people I'm having dinner with tonight just returned from a mini-vacation there.


It always strikes a dissonant chord with me when such a beautiful place is such a dangerous place.

It breaks my heart thinking about September and just knowing that it's going to end up filled with violence and death.


Sometimes I just don't understand humanity. And I don't think I want to.

I'll keep you updated if anything else happens. I'm safe where I am right now. If that changes, well, then I'll get myself somewhere safe.

Until later,


Julie

UPDATE: We've been hearing rockets and missiles on and off tonight (mostly from the IDF, not Gaza.)


What did we do tonight? What any self-respecting person in a war-zone would. We drank. And sang soul music. And ate lots of chips.  Then, we went to a bar at a nearby kibbutz (five of us) and had a little more to drink and ate really delicious fries hot out of the oil. Oh, and we'd turn our heads once in awhile if we heard suspicious booming.


That's the thing here. This is normal. Sick, right? But what else can you do except keep living your life? Chances are, nothing's going to happen. The belief here is somewhere between fatalistic and realistic.

When in Rome...

PS. So, the only really uncool part of the night was the Bedouin wedding next to us shooting off endless fireworks. Really? Fireworks? After a terrorist attack? Oy.

Til tomorrow,

Much love.

 

 

Travel Answers about Israel

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.