Existing Member?

Revolution All Around: Documenting Israeli Identity in 2011 'Documenting my Documentation' (try saying that five times fast.)

Tens of Thousands Rally in Be'ersheba

USA | Sunday, 14 August 2011 | Views [500]

Last night was unbelievable. I've never seen anything like it (as far as rallies and protests go.) It was just...I really don't have the words. I'm still processing last night because so much happened and I spoke with so many people.


As we were walking back to the car (which took a half hour because there was no parking in a three kilometer radius), Paz and I had a fairly serious discussion about what happens next with this. With the UN decision about Palestine in just over a month, the focus will obviously be shifting from internal problems to the possibility of large-scale violence.

When I asked Paz what he thought would happen, all he said was, "If there's going to be any change, someone will have to die first." I think that really sums up the disillusionment a lot of the Israeli young adults have--they were told all their lives that they must serve in the army to defend their country in exchange for the country protecting them...and the country just isn't keeping up it's end of the bargain. People who used to be staunch Patriots are now trying to get Visas while they are still students (because you can't get one later very easily), and deciding which country they'd move to in case of all out war.

People are so incredibly frightened about the possibility of violence in September--I can't imagine living with that day to day, year to year.

All in all, last night really had me evaluating my own life because the reality of life here really started to crystallize.

Sorry for the heavier post, but that's the way life is. I'll try and post some of the rally photos and video later today.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.